Managing Talking!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderkate, Aug 20, 2008.

1. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

In college, I thought I was pretty good at classroom management! But I have a classroom of talkers. It just seems like no matter how many times I say, thank you for raising your hand, or I only call on people who raise their hand, it doesn't phase them. And when we come into the room from somewhere I'll say, "Please go to your seat quietly and stay quiet" they talk even louder! I am firm, but I get so close to having to yell to get them quiet and my throat is already soar from having to talk "loudly"! What can I do?? Help! I use several rewards, but some just don't care!

3. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Don't you just love kindergarten especially at the beginning of the year?! It will get easier I promise-just stay firm and consistent!

1) As far as raising their hands, it seems like you are doing the right things. Another thing you might try is let's say a kid shouts something out without raising his hand and it might be tempting to respond-do not. Say something like "uh-oh try that again." For now, at the beginning of the year review the expectations every time you sit down to learn at the carpet area or wherever it is that you are. It is not possible to review the expectation enough!

I also have a chart at my carpet area (where I do most of my teaching). The chart has 4 rules with a picture illustrating that rule next to each one. Raise your hand, sit criss-cross applesauce, Look at the teacher, voices off. When a kid shouts out, rather than talking to the student, just point at the picture of the student raising his/her hand and then call on someone else when their hand raised.

2) As far as coming into the room, you want to ensure they have the procedure down of what you want them to do. So...I would stop right there in the hall before you enter the room and say "raise your hand if you know what to do when you get into the classroom." Then say, "super! Why don't you go in the classroom and show us what that looks like!" The kids could then watch that student and you then might call on a couple more students to model it. They will want to please you. so they will do it correctly!

Also, sometimes it helps to sing songs when transitioning to keep all the kids busy and to keep control of the class since they are all singing. By the end of the song they should all be sitting, etc.....

School starts for me on the 2nd. Thanks for getting me thinking!:up:

4. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I don't have an answer, but I am in the same boat as you. I have a class of 24 first graders that absolutely will not quit talking and pay attention. I have tried nice, I have tried mean, I have tried fun, I have tried positive reinforcement, I have tried consequences, but NOTHING seems to work. I am so frustrated because I feel like I can't teach since I don't have their attention and I feel badly for the 5 that do want to learn. I am told they were this way all year in kindergarten last year and their teacher really struggled with them as well. I have also been told this is a challenging once in a career class, etc. But...I just don't know what to do either!!! So, if you figure it out, let me know!

5. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Mrs.ABC123 made some good suggestions. I have had chatty classes as well & those ideas have helped get them under control.
    Good luck.