Managing student records

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by horned_Frog89, Aug 6, 2015.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 6, 2015

I will be teaching 7 periods of 6th grade math...being that I'm a first year teacher, I'm worrying about how I'm going to be organizing the massive amounts of paper work.

I have an idea of how I am going to organizing my master copies (binders). But I don't have any idea of how I'm going organize my students' paperwork that I will need to keep throughout the year. I'm talking things like signed forms, parent contact information, re-test forms (signed), any parent contact, conference notes, etc.

Just looking for tips and suggestions!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 6, 2015

Make a spreadsheet for each class with parent contact information. Get a large binder and divide by class period. I keep a log of parent contacts by student, but you could file in the binder by class period.

4. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 6, 2015

I had the same issue last year. This year I am going to make a folder for each student to keep in my filing cabinet.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 7, 2015

File folders

I give each student a file folder in which they write their name on it. It then goes into a crate (each class gets their own-- think milk crate) and it stays in my classroom. When it is time to hand back tests, I have monitors hand back the folders and have students put their work in their folder. Then we recollect and put folders in crate. I've been doing this for 4 years, never had an issue.

To keep record of who didn't bring it in, I have students who did not complete the assignment write that on their folder (I did not completed (blank) assignment ) they then can cross that off when they return it.

For parent contact, each class is color coded and gets their own binder which I keep record of student info and any parental contact