Managing/Ordering Scholastic book clubs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

I've never ordered from Scholastic because it seemed like just one more thing to keep track of. Tonight I set up an account and I don't even know where to start!! :dizzy:

Will I get catalogs mailed to me? How do parents order? How often will I need to collect money? So many questions.....

3. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Yup, the catalogs will get mailed to you. As long as you filled out the part of your school address, # of kids in your class, what grade etc. I sent home a book order like very other month, but that is all up to you. They come out every month. My first 2 years of teaching when I was feeling very overwhelmed and totally stressed out half the time, I got the orders and money together (the parents just sent in checks and I locked them in my file cabinet til all the $ was due). The cover of the catalog things themselves is kind of glossy and opens up. Inside it, it lists all the books, and you can go through and write tally marks to keep track of how many books you need to order. Then I called them up and they totally walked me thru the orders, for 2 YEARS!! They were seriously so nice, and helpful and then you just mail the money, but keep the order forms the kids turned in. Then the books come, and you have their order forms as their receipt, and they help you know who ordered what. The last several years I have set up an online acct, and it is much easier that way--well most of the time =) good luck, Scholastic is a great company, and really user friendly!

Cari

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

I set up online ordering, and almost all of my parents used it. No money for me to handle, and we got a free book for each online order.

I'd only have 1 or 2 kids each month send in money (usually if a kid had saved his allowance and brought in a stack of coins!)

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

Scholastic has made things so much easier. Definitely set up online ordering for parents.

I send an order form home every month. I racked up serious bonus points in only one year.

6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I stamp the due date with a date stamp, no longer than a week after I send it out.
    I tell parents to write checks payable to scholastic no matter if its Lucky or See Saw. Preferribly no cash, because then I will have to write a check.
    I also let them know that when they order our class gets free books.
    I also send preprinted thank you notes letting them know how their purchase helped our class.
    Yes, it can be confusing especially if you send more than one book club at a time. But it is so worth it! Plus seeing the white box delivered to my class always gets me so excited :haha:

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

You'll love it once you start. It's not hard and Scholastic has great customer service! My first year, I messed up an order. It was totally my fault, but Scholastic was great about fixing it quickly.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2010

I am thinking about signing up too. We'll see.

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 18, 2010

You can also ask a parent to run it for you.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

I only had like 2 orders last year. I don't really like scholastic. Every time I go to their website I can't find my points and I can't figure out you order something with the points you have.

I want to give up and not do it this year.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

What's good is with all your orders you earn points that you can trade in for other books for your class library or things in general for the classroom. Once you do this a few times it will be easy.

12. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 18, 2010

It seems like the prices are not as good as in the past. Kids come in with a book from Wal-Mart costing less than book order. Has anyone else had this problem?

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 18, 2010

So I couldnt get access to my account, it just said it was paid off. I dont know what happened but I guess I never made the last payment and now I owe over $300. I wont be able to do scholastics this year, how depressing. However, these are great ideas I need to really use next year.

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

I would call the customer service people and have them check that. There could be a mistake.