Managing makeup work

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by J. A., May 23, 2018.

1. J. A.

J. A. Rookie

May 23, 2018

As the school year winds to an end, I've been bombarded with students who want makeup work (8th grade). The thing is, most of this "makeup" work is not work they missed due to being absent. I have no issue with providing such work as long as the absence is backed up by the attendance log and not because they deliberately skipped class. However, most of the requests are from students who were in class that day and refused to do the work, and want the 0 off their gradebook. Then, when I give them the work, they nag me and often become very disrespectful when I don't have it graded within a day or two. I stated in January when I started that I do not rush to grade makeup work, but I guarantee it will be graded by the end of the grading period.

My biggest problem is providing the work to the kids who refused to do it in class, because that just teaches them they can quit doing work in class, because then they can get the makeup work. But if I do not provide it, I get complaints from parents who say it isn't fair.

Suggestions? I've tried everything from reminders to get work done in class to standing practically on top of the "offenders" to get them to do the work in class, and many of them still insist on making it up later.

Mrs. K. likes this.
  3. JimG

JimG Comrade

May 23, 2018

Make the end of each unit the deadline to have any late work in, and penalize the earned grade on a late assignment by 25%. Include this on the syllabus for next year so that everyone knows from day 1.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2018

This is always been a problem at my schools, as well. Perhaps you could require that they come in on their own time and do the make-up work there in your presence. If the alternative is undesirable enough, maybe they'll buckle down and do the work the first time it's offered.

In addition, a hard deadline at the end of each quarter sounds like a good idea, and that's what I'd recommend as long as admin will support you.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 24, 2018

Make them work for it. If they refused to do it, let them know that late assignments are graded at 75% (- any points deducted for inaccuracy), you can say this is the same for absences since it's been so late.
    You could even say that 75% if 3-30 days late, 50 % if 31-60 days late and only worth 25% if 61-90 days late.
    Those kids who ditched class or slept, will now have to do twice the work (more or less), and if they're failing, they will really have to do a lot of work.
    Also give them a deadline. I told everyone that the last day I take make up work is the Friday before the last week (we get out Thursday). After that do not accept anything.
    And if they harass you about not getting it done, tell them that you are being extremely generous that you are accepting their work since they slept, and the only reason is that you don't feel like looking up all these dates when they were absent or not. But if they push it, you'll just go with policy, so they should just be respectful and appreciative.
    This would be my response.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 24, 2018

I take 20% off every day a small assignment is late. After five days, it stays a zero. I try to keep that policy enforced because I was struggling with the same thing.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 25, 2018

I teach 9th graders who had teachers who were as generous as you. I won't give them make up work. I feel it enables them. Don't let parents dictate how you run your classroom.

8. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jun 29, 2018

I think it is important to set the standard and stick to it. You will always have students that do not work in class but want make-up work to improve their grade. Providing make-up work to students who are "lazy" does not teach them to meet deadlines and we, the teachers, are not helping students realize that their work needs to be submitted on time. It is never an easy battle but it is important to set a standard and stick to it.

One way to make it easy for you would be to provide 50% on any late assignment. It does not matter if it is one week late or five months late. If the student turns the work into you, providing 50% allows the student to receive points and you do not really need to grade it because it is late. If the student complains and acts disrespectful, their grade can stay at the zero.

Hope this helps!
    http://thatbizguy.blogspot.com/

9. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 29, 2018

I don't do makeup work, except for noted and excused absence. Should have done it when you had the chance. But if you really want, 5,000 word essay on why you should have done your homework when you had the chance for 50% credit.

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 3, 2018

I don't do any makeup work other than for the kids who had a legit reason for missing the original work. I have weekly vocab assignments that earn a zero if not completed on the due date, and 50% if handed in late. All other homework is 50% if/when it is handed in. I do not give extra credit assignments because the kids who ask for it are generally the same kids with the missing work. I DO give extra credit items on many quizzes or tests. Projects earn up to full credit when handed in on time, up to a B when one day late, etc. I note all of this, in writing, when I hand out my syllabus and class letter at the beginning of the year.

Aces likes this.
  11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 3, 2018

I, like you, give extra credit on all of my quizzes and tests. Usually quizzes have 5 bonus questions worth 1pt each, tests have 10 bonus questions worth 1pt each, and the final has 25. If you ace that test, I put your extra points in a bank for you. Your next lab, if it's below a 100%, you receive all of the points from your bank up to 100% or until your bank is empty, which ever happens first. (Ex.: your next lab you score a 79%, but you've got 20 extra points in your bank, 20 points bumps your lab score up to 99%) Because of the grading system we use (computerized) we can't give anything over 100% but I like the bonus point system. Bonus points from the final are used to boost your raw final grade in the same way ex: your final overall grade is a 74%, but you got the 25 bonus questions right on your final so you get a boost up to 99%.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 3, 2018

I’m an incredibly fast grader and have a grading policy that all assignments turned in, whether they are a test, quiz, homework sheet, project, written assignment, etc., are to be graded and put into the grade book by the end of the day. I do this because students will nag me otherwise and I don’t want to deal with whiners, lol. But I recognize that everyone is different and that’s okay.

In your situation, I would tell the naggers that their assignment will be put at the bottom of the list if they continue to be overly insistent and rude. Then, kindly remind them that you will grade it in due time and it will be reflected in the gradebook in their final grades. Maybe even promise them because they will see that you are going to keep your word. This should be enough to placate them, I hope.