managing class work

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Lynnnn725, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

My first year I used table folders to store unfinished work. The last two years I have used cubbies. The cubbies end up collecting a lot of work because I have trouble keeping up with those things and making sure the kids keep up with unfinished work.

What do you do when there is unfinished work? FYI-I use tables, not desks.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I have a window suction clip that attches to my classsroom door. I clip unfinished work there for those students who need to finish. With the papers hanging there reminds me that there are kids who need to fnish. I tend to forget about the papers if they are in a filing tray, and the kids sure aren't going to remind you that they have work to do. LOL

4. old n new

old n new Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

5. Yen

Yen Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I have tables as well in my classroom and I have students keep a work folder at their table. Each student has their own.

Because I do daily handwriting packets as morning work I have them keep their morning work in the same folder. Before we do a free choice activity I remind them to take out their folders and check them. This seems to eliminate clutter for me.

6. Mora

Mora Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Any ideas on how to "sail smoothly" through the first week of school??

7. Yen

Yen Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I pretty much spend the entire first week to two weeks on procedures. We do start the curriculum the first week, but it's incredibly slow. We do the procedure and repeat it over and over again.
    This is our first week this week and I've spent a lot of time in community circle and going over how I want them to do things.
    I model the right way to do it and also the wrong way. We then talk about how what the both ways look like and how we expect it to go in our classroom. Everytime we go over something new (such as yesterday we went over how to use our whiteboards and markers) I model it and talk about it, then we model using it together.
    Such an incredibly slow process but it definitely makes the rest of the year smooth sailing. :)

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Okay - I have decided to use folders. My first year I didn't spend the time necessary to go over expectations and procedures.

I am going to do table folders! I'm glad I made a decision, lol. I think I will use their trays to store their reading response spirals and science notebooks. I think I'll keep their poetry folders in the poetry station area for convenient access. I will store their table folders in tubs on/near their table.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 12, 2009

Lynn,
    I just made a poster for my classroom: "What can I do when I am finished?", and the first thing I listed was "complete work in my Unfinished Work Folder." I plan to teach this from day one. All work in the folder must be finished by the end of day on Friday, or they will lose a privilege/treat.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

Oh! Thanks for the idea!

11. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I use a literacy sorter (pocket chart). It has 24 pockets that can hold folders. Each student is assigned a pocket the first week of school. We practice placing work in the pocket. After my 2 Language Arts block, I check to see who completed the morning assignment. After lunch the students that did not complete are given time during "books for fun" time. I grade and file them during specials and anyone still incomplete goes into my fun Friday folder. I made sure I graded papers everyday. L. Arts papers are graded during specials( usually handwriting or a word sort activity. Math sheets are corrected during math center rotation ( I mark them as I go) and Science/Social Studies before I go home ( takes about 10 mins). I found if I did not set a schedule I would be overwhelmed at the end of the week. http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/images/smilies/2/2cents.gif

I hope I didn't confuse you.

12. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

You are so creative! Thanks for sharing your idea!

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 17, 2009

Awww, thanks!

14. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

Could you share a little more about your daily handwriting packets? Thanks!

15. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

I think you should consider why students have unfinished work. If it is occasional and it is because they're playing around or having an off day, then yes, maybe they need to finish it at another time. But if it is happening all of the time to a particular student or lots of students have unfinished assignments, maybe it is too much work for them. They either have too much to do or not enough time or it is just too difficult for them.
    Personally I rarely make kids finish work as long as they are working their hardest for the whole time and they are showing they are understanding/learning the skill. Why drag things out and give yourself one more thing to keep track of?

16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2009

I try my best to differentiate...so I don't believe the work is too hard (or easy). In fact, we rarely do worksheets - most of our stuff is in journals or hands-on. Last year I did hand-make a science notebook that was ongoing throughout the whole unit. It was "unfinished" until we finished that unit and was stored in their cubbie. But - sometimes a kid doesn't finish a math station, then goes back the next day to finish (a kid can do the station over and over and over..as long as they want). There were 2 children who were verrrry detailed and often had to be pepped to speed up!
    My main problem was that I didn't check their cubbies enough - I found a lot of finished work in there, too! I didn't check the finished basket either.
    We are very hands-on and most assessments are hands-on as well.