Managing behavior for a demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by blauren, Jan 15, 2014.

1. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jan 15, 2014

I have to do a demo lesson as part of an interview process with 7th graders. Just wanted to know how any of you handled behavior doing a demo lesson since you are walking in to a class where you don't know the kids. I was thinking of doing a positive reinforcement thing where they all have a post it on their desk at the beginning and I let them know if they have good behavior and don't lose their post it that they will get candy at the end.

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jan 15, 2014

For my current job I did a demo lesson with kindergarten the last week of school - I was pretty scared they wouldn't listen so I tried to make my lecture/presentation as short and as interactive as possible so I could get them started on independent work.

The P's and teachers told me I did a great job when they hired me.

But I knew I had really done a great job when I got those same students as 1st graders in September and they remembered me from just a 30 minute lesson.

Make it fun, engaging, and relevant and it will go great!

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jan 15, 2014

I would advise against the candy idea.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2014

I had to do a demo lesson, and I didn't do any special fancy behavior management deal. I acted like it was my first day in class. I walked in, told them my name, and began teaching. If kids misbehaved I dealt with it. Since I didn't know names I'd be like "excuse me, what'd your name? I need you to stop talking please"

Make a super interesting and interactive lesson for the kids. But I wouldn't get fancy with behavior management.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 15, 2014

NO candy!!! My school has a wellness policy and teachers are not supposed to use candy or food as a reward. Some schools might be ok with candy, but MANY are not.

As others have said, when I did a demo lesson I tried to make it as interactive and engaging as possible. I remember at one point the kids were getting restless, so I did what I would do in my regular class - we had a quick (maybe a minute or less) stretch break. Involve them in the lesson so they aren't getting bored and wanting to misbehave. Also, you probably don't want to do such an elaborate dog and pony show that the kids get all worked up. Keep it somewhere in the middle.

:) This happened to me too - I did a demo in a first grade class, and when I started working there as a first grade teacher the following school year, some of those second graders who saw me around campus remembered me.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2014

I watched a demo lesson today (for my long-term sub). The kids acted like little angels-definitely not like usual! I wish I could have seen how the candidate would respond to their normal behavior.

I shared my rules before the lesson and invited the candidates to use my rules.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jan 20, 2014

Yeah, state your rules. "All eyes on me" etc. I didn't do that. I just went straight into the lesson and it was held against me in the post-interview.