Managing an Easter Party?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by puff5655, Apr 11, 2017.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 11, 2017

I've always kept parties low key but in this school big parties are the norm. Parents want to be involved.

For Easter I'm thinking kids will go to several stations:

-Easter egg play dough
    -Decorate Easter egg cookies
    -Drawing/Painting Easter eggs
    -Pin the tail on the bunny

I am not sure how to do the rotations. Whether Or if I should just have all the kids wear a necklace with all the activities listed, and maybe check each off as they do them so kids can come and go from stations?

Afraid some kids will want to spend forever in some centers and others won't get a chance. Also worried that with kids coming and going, they won't clean up after themselves.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 11, 2017

When I have my students rotating groups, it seems to be best to assign them groups and have an assigned rotation order for stations.

Do you have tablets or computers? You could also add some type of educational game or a read aloud story online with a spring/Easter theme.

(Is your school private? I can't imagine having an Easter party at a public school as it's a religious holiday! But, many of my kids have other religions. Maybe 1/2 celebrate Easter.)

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2017

This. Parents from my class tend to plan the parties, but when doing rotations, they'll have a set timeline for when each rotation will start and end, and groups stay at the station until it's time to move to the next one. You'll want to have "done" activities prepared for each station: whether the same for all stations (coloring 1 easter egg, then 2 easter eggs, etc...) or individualized (done with playdough: try to make different shapes, try to make an egg, etc...). It sounds as though you have plenty of parental support should you choose to use it: with one or two at each station, they should be able to keep them on task with the activity or "done" activity until the time to swap.

For kinders, I'd highly suggest against come-and-go. It'll become chaotic quickly, some will likely simply choose not to do a station or not stick with it for more than a few seconds, and it'll be much harder to help them to "done" activities in that sense.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 12, 2017

Thanks you guys! I'll do that!

6. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 12, 2017

Oh and in every school I've been in (5 different ones) we've been allowed/encouraged to have class parties for all the Holidays. They are in no way religious (i.e. it's all about the Easter bunny and not the resurrection) and I feel like it's more of an American cultural thing.. like saying the pledge of allegiance, than a religious thing. But I can see the issue if you have kids in your class that don't recognize the Holiday.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 12, 2017

We're having an Easter egg hunt. We're a state funded "private" school and lots of holidays are celebrated. Can you set a timer for the rotations or have a parent go around to the groups and tell them when they only have 5 minutes or so left? It all sounds like a lot of fun.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 12, 2017

I've been lucky that even if some of the kids don't really celebrate a certain holiday the parents still want them to attend the party as long as they don't eat certain foods which isn't a problem at all.

9. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 16, 2017

Just wanted to give some feedback. I gave the kids each a necklace with each activity listed and a blank checkbox. Then before we started I let them choose an activity to start with and checked off that activity on the necklace.

Started with setting a 15 minute timer but quit that after the first round. Found that most kids were done long before the time was up. It worked great just asking them to come to me if they wanted to change activities. Then I could make sure that center was available and check off their box. It was easy to go around and see who still needed turns and make sure they got a chance.

The parents all automatically went where needed and everything went fantastic. I used to always do this stuff whole group and there was a lot of waiting involved. This was perfect!

mathmagic and otterpop like this.
  10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2017

Flexibility is the key! Timing activities is hard enough for intermediate - I can't imagine it for Kindergarten...kudos for changing things on the fly as you saw your kiddos needed!