management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kindermama, Jul 29, 2007.

1. kindermama

kindermama Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I am planning on making a stop light behavior chart to manage my classroom this year. I'm thinking each student will have a clip with their name on it that will move to each color if necessary. I have two classes-a.m. and p.m.-so I might make 2 charts unless someone can give me a good idea to do it differently. My question is...HOW do I make this behavior chart? In my son's pre-school they laminated the three circles (green, yellow, red) and then connected each circle by another laminated strip of paper. It seems flimsy when all those clips are hanging on it!! How can I make mine sturdy? Or what other way can I make it? And how should I hang it without it falling to the floor. I'm sure someone has a great idea but none are coming to me!

I also need student mailboxes...I can't find cardboard literature sorters any where! The only thing I can find are the expensive ones. Has anyone seen cardboard or inexpensive mailboxes?

I am also in need of some ideas for my fine motor center. I'll do cutting, lacing, legos, etc. but does anyone have any clever original ideas?

What are your views/ideas on share days/show-n-tell days in K. The kids always want to "show" something to their classmates.

Do you do a job chart with assigned jobs for the week? Last year I had weekly helpers that just helped with anything that I needed help with. What do you think?

Thanks all.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

I don't like stop lights but have seen plastic 'paper' plates stapled to bulletin board- since they are plates the rim sticks off board enough to clip closthespins to...

reallygoodstuff.com has a great mailbox- cardboard, sturdy...you pay less if you order it unassembled.

Fine motor:*Perforating- Students use a push pin to
    perforate the outline of a unit-based object
    or a letter. They love holding their finished
    work up to see the light shining through the
    tiny holes.

*Tracing- Students use typing paper
    to trace simple pictures related to the
    focus letter or unit.

*LiteBrite- Students get a sheet of
    black construction paper, use chalk to write
    the focus letter or word, and then use
    litebrite pegs to perforate the outline. Of
    course, they love to plug it in, turn out the
    lights, and watch their work shine!

Show and tell: have one or two children per day share? Send home a schedule so parents kow when is their child's turn. Teach kids how to ask questions about what has been shown. Show and tell kid can choose 3 students to ask questions ..

Class jobs are great- promote a sense of community and make kids feel capable and contributing...

4. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

A couple of quick thoughts: For mailboxes I've seen people use those door hanger shoe holders with several clear pockets. You may also want to skip mailboxes altogether. I used to have a "go home" bin and at the end of the day we would distribute the papers to students at their tables with their homework folders open. Done! :)

If you have a magnetic white board, you can just hang the color circles on the board and use student names on magnets.

One fine motor idea from when I taught Kindergarten: Have them do beading (patterns, etc) on pipe cleaners. It holds the beads on so they're not rolling all over the floor and can be bent into shapes too. Don't forget that fine motor can be integrated into other subject areas as well i.e. label paper t-shirts with numbers and have students lay the matching number of buttons on each one, etc.

Have fun!

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I used a stop light one year. I made each circle and mounted them on black butcher paper. I then laminated the whole thing. I used masking tape to hang it to my closet door. Each student had a clothes pin that he/she moved when needed. They just put it on the side of the stoplight. It was plenty sturdy. I had 19 students that year. (we had to use the left and the right sides, but it worked well.)
    I haven't used it since my first year and I'm interested to know why czacza doesn't like stoplights.

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I have bought the white cardboard magazine holders for sorting at IKEA. They were 5 for $2.00. It was a good deal.

7. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I use the traffic light system. I bought a poster of a red light at the teacher store--2 dollars.

8. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

If there is a Sam's near you, they have a sweet 12-bin wooden mailbox for about $10. I've got 4 of them and each kid has a box (as well as space to turn stuff in to me) . I have a 'mailperson' job who distributes papers and whatnot for me each afternoon.

9. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I want to get some of these and I've heard several people talking about them. How do you make this work when you have several different classes? (I will be teaching 3-4 blocks of Reading each day) Do you have a separate mailbox slot for each student? :confused:

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Color code them to keep them separate. Maybe buy colored plastic clothes pins and write their names on them.

As for show and tell, it can be used daily or weekly, but it is great for K. Get a bag and send it home with the "student of the day/week" and have them give three clues and get the class to guess. Then pass it around.

K is a bit young for job charts, IMO. Usually have a "star" or whatever to be the line leader, maybe help with snack. You can usually bribe them into stacking chairs! Stickers and stamps are great for that!

11. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Miss Bradley, how many kids are in each class?

12. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 29, 2007

So far I've heard around 17 students in each block.

13. pokybloom

pokybloom Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I have never seen a traffic light thing, but I assume it is like the card pulling thing where they move their name to another color for behavior? I saw a really cool one once (my husband's mom is a teacher and it was hers) that was circles with clothes pins on it, and they had holes punched near the top and bottom and were held together with one of those ring-binder things (to answer the sturdiness question), but she also had a star on top so they could move up for good behavior, which I thought was an excellent addition.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

I don't like VISIBLE behavior management plans- Anyone can walk in the room and see who's in trouble with such plans and formulate ideas about those kids. I think your behavior management should be based on trust and respect. your classroom should be a community where kids feel capable, connected and contributing. I think making a visible display of your kids behaviors cuts into this climate. There's another thread here somewhere about the pulling cards/moving clip systems where I and others have shared our thoughts about how these systems can harm class climate (they work, but to what expense?) I just think there are more positive and smarter ways to handle behaviors...:love:

15. kindermama

kindermama Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

What kind of not-visible plan do you use? I know my parents and principal want a behavior management plan in writing, not just an understanding.

16. kindermama

kindermama Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

traffic light behavior mod

What is your method? Are the kids names on magnets or clips?

17. kindermama

kindermama Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks! Great ideas!

18. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 31, 2007

The stoplights I have seen have been made with the dixie plastic (or whatever material that is) type plates. They are in the paper plate section.