Management Resources

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 11, 2012

So I'm beginning to prepare mentally a little bit for next year. The crop coming up is reputed to have a number of little boogerbears. When they walk down the hallway it looks like they need a cattledog to herd them. And since they probably won't let me bring one of those in ;)....I really want to brush up on management techniques this summer.

Didn't really find Love and Logic very helpful-I don't think kids this little really respond to the logic part. Any other suggestions-not for a new teacher but one who just wants to be as prepared as possible. I want to start getting my summer reading list together.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2012

How do you feel about your classroom management and routines in general?

I have always found that structure, routines and consistency are the key. The room starts to run itself. I do implement a clipchart at the start of the school year, but find that I don't need it once everything else falls into place. Like anything else the chart gets old.

I created my chart in photoshop and had it printed for free as a banner through vistaprint with their summer promos.

You can download my file to create it for free here.

[​IMG].

You can read a full description of how I use it here.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 11, 2012

I think that the book that can't be beat for routines is Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones. It has helped me more than anything else with management issues.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2012

I was about to recommend The Cornerstone by Angela Powell/Watson, who is like a management guru imho, but I see you're with kindergarten so I'm not sure whether that will address your needs. Tools for Teaching is definitely geared much more toward older grades.

6. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Mar 13, 2012

Whole Brain Thinking

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 13, 2012

I have a small handheld cattle prod I will loan you!

8. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Mar 13, 2012

Dream Class by Michael Linsen. Check out his website smart classroommanagement.com. His thinking is logical and easy to implement.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 13, 2012

:yeahthat:

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 13, 2012

:lol: Hey, that might work!

Thank you for your suggestions. I agree, I think Tools for Teaching is great for a new teacher or a teacher of upper grades. I used to get inspirational e-mails from the Cornerstone site-I will definitely check that book out-I need some inspiration ;). I've never heard of Dream Teaching-will have to read up on that as well.

:thanks: I just want to go in like a soldier prepared for battle--ready for anything!

11. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Mar 18, 2012

I like the New Management ideas from Rick Morris and especially like Positive Engagement Project and their resources. Definately some good ideas to prepare any soldier :)