Management in elementary/working with classroom teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by daisycakes, Sep 22, 2014.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 22, 2014

I moved to elementary after being very successful in middle school. I teach class in the school for just 50 short minutes/week. I am used to seeing my kids every day, so "building relationships" is not having the same affect. Also, I can't be very creative with my punishments as I am used to.

Mostly, everything is fine. However, there is, without fail, at least 1 kid per class who seems completely crazy. My management system is: 1 warning, then 2 minute time out, then 5 minute time-out + teacher contact, then time out for rest of class + 5 minutes of recess. I had 2 classes today where no one went to time out. Then, I had one kid get to 3 times out within 10 minutes of class.

My question is not really how to manage them. I have found that no one in the school seems to be managing these particular students effectively. If I can get them to sit out and not disrupt class, I can live with that. My question is more like, how much should I communicate with the classroom teacher?

One teacher asked me for a half sheet each week that describes how her class is doing. So, I made that half sheet and started handing it out today to all classes. It says, "Overall, this class's behavior was: x, y, z. "These students struggled to participate appropriately" and "These students did an exceptional job." However, one teacher seemed upset by it. I thought it was a good idea because most classes go really well, but teachers only hear from me when something goes wrong. Now I am rethinking it. What do you think?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 22, 2014

I get frustrated if a specials teacher wants me to give consequences for behavior in their class, but it sounds like you are handling issues yourself. I do like to discuss occasional issues, particularly if the behavior was outside the norm for a student. Many kids act differently in pull out classes than in the regular classroom. I don't know that I would need a written description though. That has to take a lot of time on your part.