Man you have to be careful as a teacher...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by raynor, Jul 8, 2009.

1. raynor

raynor Rookie

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

Are you kidding me? What has happened to America? Yes, it WAS a silly thing to do. But really, what is the big deal. He really did not intend to marry the girl. It was all in fun! Whatever.

4. raynor

raynor Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Yeah, but if people complain.....only THAT is when action will be taken against the teacher.

That's the draw back to being a teacher, all it takes is a few complaints to the Superintendents office, and it's game over.

Otherwise...it's no problem.

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

I just hope that he keeps his job.

6. raynor

raynor Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I don't mean to sound sexist, but this is JUST a theory, and it depends on who is judging him.....him being a MALE teacher might not help matters much....I could be wrong.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

talking from one parent's perspective - I would NOT be happy if I heard this happened with one of my children. No, I wouldn't demand the guy lose his job or anything. But, my opinion of him would not be high. I think it was a poor choice. Yes, that is just my opinion, but I'm sure I can't be the only one who thinks this is poor judgement. We are the professionals and should act like it.

You can have fun and interact with students without crossing lines. This is the age when lots of kids develop crushes on teacher (especially male teachers). He did not help matters.

It's just one of the things that probably seemed fine at the time, but in hindsight not great. He even says it was a mistake that should not have happened.

8. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I think it was a very poor choice - regardless of your personal feeling about "America today" or PC or whatever - as a teacher you have to be cognizant of this reality. You are responsible for CYA'ing, no one else. Failure to realize this reality and act accordingly will place you in undesired situations like this one.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

It was dumb, but hopefully he learned his lesson.

10. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Wow, I can't believe someone would actually do this. I understand that the intent was probably harmless, but you have to use better judgement. It's actually kind of creepy.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

I am the eternal optimist. It never occurred to me that someone would take his actions as serious. If the girl truly had a crush on him, it could have some consequences. If the guy was teaching a lesson about ceremonies in society, or celebrations, and decided to show what a wedding might look like, I can see somewhat where he may have been going. Yes, there are better ways to do this. I just wonder what the parents specific concerns were? Was it because religion was brought into the classroom with a child being a priest? Were the parents concerned that class time was missed because of this joke? Were the parents concerned that he had overstepped his boundaries by pretending to be in love with a 4th grader? Were the parents concerned about the feelings of the 4th grade girl? I guess we will never know.

I had a child once that brought a civil war sword to first grade. Honestly, he told me had a sword in his bookbag and I told him to leave it there because toys are not allowed at school never dreaming that a real sword was in his bookbag. Well, at the end of the day his ride was late. I called his Aunt and she came to pick him up. While he was waiting for his Aunt, he pulled out the sword. The secretary just about had a cow. The principal called the police and then, called me back to the office. She asked me if I knew that he had a sword in his bookbag. I said, "of course." I explained that I told him to keep it in his bookbag because toys were not allowed at school. When she pulled out that REAL sword, I could have just died! His Aunt walked in right about then, and the principal explained that the police were on their way and that he would be ARRESTED. Keep in mind, he is SIX years old and innocent! The Aunt did the smartest thing I ever saw. She walked over, picked up the sword, and said, " he is going home - not to jail." When the police arrived there was NOTHING they could do. No boy. No sword. No problem. Just goes to show how something innocent can turn into something huge. The little guy just wanted to bring in his Grandpa's special sword for Show and Tell. Luckily, my principal did not even scold me. She realized that I had no clue. I can assure you NOW when I child says he has anything that could be construed as a weapon of any sort, I CHECK IT OUT!:woot:

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

It was stupid on his part yet, but not stupid enough to lose his job.

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

I'm sorry I don't think it's the same thing. You did not participate in anything. He told you he had a sword and it was reasonable to think that it was a toy.

yes mistakes/misjudgments occur. I've done silly things that, after rethinking, I wouldn't have done. But there are limits to what is reasonable.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

I guess so. But I surely felt stupid.:eek:

15. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

I read about this yesterday. If I recall correctly, none of the complaints came from parents that had a child in his class. Just something to think about...

(Yes, his judgment could have been better.)