Man, it is dry out there, and I don't mean the weather!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

NO postings in my area at all this week for elementary school. However, I did get an email from a p. where I interviewed last year, assuring me that he received my packet and that he will "talk to you soon." So that is encouraging. Job posting doesn't close til Friday.

Also in my inbox was this email from a p. where I interviewed last month. It really made me feel better, even though she doesn't have a permanent position available right now:

"Dear Rainbowbird,

I wanted to let you know that we will have a long term sub position opening up (likely in mid-December). While I hope that you are able to secure a position for this coming year, if that is not the case we would love to have you apply for this position. It will be in Kindergarten, probably for about 4 months for a maternity leave. If you are available, please keep us in mind. I'm not sure if you live close enough to sub in Xyz, but we are always looking for great substitute teachers. (One of the teachers we hired had subbed here frequently last year.)

I feel badly that you did not get a position with us. You really did well at the interview and with the lesson.

Thanks and I hope you are enjoying the summer!

--B. "

I will say again that I sent this woman a sincere thank you note (handwritten) after being rejected, because it really had been a good experience. There is always a chance for for the future (as evidenced by my other email).

Good luck this week, everyone. I'm off to go do some shopping. I have been obsessing today...not good.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

That email about the sub position looks very promising.:thumb: keep sending out info to every school in your area regardless of whether openings are posted...you never know, something might suddenly open and your package will already be there! Good luck.

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

Hopefully you end up finding something full time - but that e-mail from the P about the LTS position sounds really good. It sounds like that P likes you, so that may be a good situation to fall back on.

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 9, 2013

It is absolutely dry here too. Nothing posted at all this month, or last month,in ECE at all in my county.

The LTS sounds like a good lead. Maybe it will turn into something more for you with this particular principal. :thumb:

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

Thank you, everyone. I did feel a good connection with the committee and that particular principal. Good to know she is thinking of me. Hoping to get the call from the other guy for an interview end of this week or early next week. The search continues...

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2013

Don't try to stress out too much! In my district there were quite a few openings in August right before school started. My school had to hire a teacher the week before school started. Just keep applying, mailing out packets, and emailing principals.

8. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

In Texas, Friday is the last day for teacher resignations; Monday is the first day back for a lot of the administrations in the various ISD's I'm interested in...soo, I'm hoping the dry spell will end in a downpour very, very soon! Hang in there!

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 10, 2013

Does this also apply to districts that have seemed to have finalized their needs? (i.e. districts that have listed positions already this season) And when you say this, do you mean the pop-in (unannounced visit)?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

I'd mail packages...as far as finalizing needs, unexpected openings can and do occur. Also, a P might look over your resume and know of another school,that might have an opening...you never know.:angel:

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 11, 2013

Just curious: Do you think it necessary to use resume paper in all your mailings? Also... mailings are more convenient, which is nice! But what do you think is the difference between a mailing and an e-mail? (which I consider to be almost as anonymous as an online application)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2013

I'd definitely use resume paper for cover and resume...copy paper for any copies of transcripts, letters of rec, etc.

Some candidates include more in a mailing than an email...mini portfolios/brochures, letters of rec, etc.

How are you doing? Any nibbles?

13. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 13, 2013

Do you think it's acceptable to 'adapt' (aka, copy an idea but tweak for your purposes/TEKS) a lesson plan for your portfolio (giving proper credit/citation of course)?

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 13, 2013

How are you doing? Any nibbles?[/QUOTE]

No nibbles. I've personally visited probably 20 schools within maybe 40 miles of me, hand-delivering. I've met a few P's, handed my res. to a few secretaries, even coerced a couple custodians to put on P's desk. It's funny, because many of these were pleasant (if not encouraging) encounters, and it makes you feel like what you are doing is worthwhile. And then the next one, they make you feel stupid that you're even wasting your time. The whole process makes you question yourself... e.g. maybe I'm not the teacher I think I am.

Absolutely think it is legitimate to do that. (I don't think you don't need to cite anyone either.)

15. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 13, 2013

I admire that you took the time to visit these schools.

16. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 13, 2013

I drove 35 miles on LA freeways, without appointment or knowing if anyone would even be there, just to drop off a resume. Talk about desperation. :dizzy: