Man, is subbing different these days!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by engineerkyle, Nov 12, 2011.

1. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 12, 2011

Hi All,

I subbed about 20 years ago.

I showed I had a BA.... got on the sub list, and got payed on Fridays by the district(s) I worked for.

Now, as I close in on my student teacher shift, it is suggested that I get on the district's sub list where I will be doing this internship. Not only will I get paid if I have to cover for my host teacher, but I'll make contacts for the "real" job to come.

Holy cow!, an agency in MI called the PESC handles all this, and you'd think I was joining the secret service based on all the security hoops and credentials I have to produce and jump through. Enough red tape to drown in. :dizzy:

Do all states contract out their subs now?

Kyle

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 12, 2011

It depends. I worked at several school districts through a giant sub pool via Aesop (managed by the county ESC). A couple other schools I was at had their individual sub pools. All of them required an FBI background check (fingerprinting was often at the expense of the teacher).

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 13, 2011

I subbed in 1993, and I had to have a complete background check and provide all my credentials.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2011

We use a sub service which calls subs approved by our district. The subs aren't 'contracted out', just the scheduling. It's state law for the fingerprinting and background check,engineerkyle. That's about school/child safety and responsibility...not meant to be 'hoops'. Given 'current events' regarding lack of responsibility and child endangerment/abuse, I'm sure you can understand the precautions schools MUST take in hiring school workers.

6. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 13, 2011

Most certainly.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2011

As a sidenote, we were not allowed to be completing a student teaching assignment and sub on the same day. It was strictly forbidden.

My supervising teacher was out several days for a death in the family (I think it was), but she was required to bring in a sub. That sub had less schooling than I did and I did every single thing start to finish, but she had to be there.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2011

All of our subs are certified teachers, so have gone through the process of background checks, etc. The volunteers in our school who work in classrooms or supervise field trips must also have police checks.

9. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 13, 2011

In the district where I am student teaching, the administration favors paying the student teacher when the host teacher is absent. I've been told I can also expect to get "called down the hall", if a sub can't be retained in my building during this period. My host teacher will then go back to her duties for the day, freeing me up to sub in an emergency.

What we can't do is go to another building or district during the twelve week assignment.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 13, 2011

But if you are "called down the hall" then you are missing a day in your student teaching requirement?? I have many student teachers from a variety of colleges and the rule of no subbing and requiring a sub if the host teacher is absent has been the only consistent rule for all these different colleges/universities. Allowing student teachers to sub during their student teaching assignments (because it is an assignment, just like an essay or a project) for other teachers seems like a violation to me

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, it's somewhat like "double-dipping" in that you are getting credit for a day of supervised student teaching experience and payment for working.

But if they approve, you're in good shape. :)

12. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 13, 2011

Dear INTeacher and JustMe...

You make good points.... but I have been told this is the way it works in my district by a fellow cohort and confirmed by my host teacher.

The "called down the hall" part DOES seem like double dipping... we shall see.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2011

The only thing I might suggest is to ensure your college approves. The school may find this to their benefit (you're already there, familiar with students, and so forth), but your teacher prep program may frown upon or forbid it. They are in control of your student teaching assignment specifics and grade.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 13, 2011

totally agree with JustME - what the district says and what your college approves of might be two entirely different things. I think it would be in your best interest to ask your supervisoring prof from your college.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 13, 2011

Same with me. When my supervising teacher was absent, she would have her husband sub for her. He'd come in and tell me that he'd be in the lounge if I needed him for anything. :rolleyes:

We were "strongly discouraged" from having a second job during student teaching.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2011

My college approved me subbing for my supervising teacher if they were gone, but I was not allowed to sub for anyone else.

I've only subbed for about a 2-3 week period, but we had to have a background check before subbing. The process was pretty simple, but I was in a very small town.

17. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Nov 19, 2011

I had an FBI background check, had to provide my credentials, and letters from former employers attesting to my character. I also had to be licensed by the state.