Mammogram Time - Oh boy!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

Some of you may recall - I'm the AtoZer who fainted during my first mammogram, slammed my jaw into the machine, fell out of my high-heeled sandals, and hanged by my boob. When I came to, a nurse was attempting to hold me up and screaming for help.

Hilarious, yes.

Painful, yes (the face slam onto the machine, not the mammo).

Typical, yes. I often faint (or get near to fainting) when confronted with anything medical (even conversations can get me going - particularly ones about nodes or veins or connective tissue).

Annnnnywho, that first mammo was 4 years ago.

That first mammo turned into a 2nd mammo, a diagnostic mammo, a sonogram, a biopsy, a lumpectomy of sorts, and a final diagnosis of - "you're all good, no worries."

Well, for the last 4 years my doctor has given me an order for a mammo that requires I make the call to schedule the appointment. Sorry, but, I'm not going to easily make that phone call. So, it's been 4 years since my last mammo.

My momma (yes, I'm 40) finally bribed me into making that phone call.

I have a mammogram this afternoon. And, my momma is going with me!

Bluuuuuuuuuuuh. I hope the tech takes me seriously when I report I am a fainter. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I insist on using a chair during my mammogram, but 1 tech refused my request.

I know this should be part of my health routine. Here's to hoping for a positive experience!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

Good luck! I am glad you have your mom going, and if the tech is not helpful, I would request to see the manager and ask for a different tech. I will be rooting for you today!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2015

You can do this! Think happy thoughts. When it's over go out for lunch with mom or treat yourself to a new goodie.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2015

Ugh so sorry you had to go through that. Maybe if tech doesn't listen to you... Tech will listen to your momma!!! ;)
    Good thoughts for you this afternoon!!!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2015

If it happens again do you think they could prescribe you something to calm you down? I know people who take something before dental procedures because they freak out as soon as they open their mouths!!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

Before I had the biopsy, I took something. It helped.

I can be talking to someone about something benign and if the convo veers into medical-territory my fainting symptoms fire up, and I have to sit down. For me, it's a pretty classic case of conditioning and a phobic response. I could undergo some systematic desensitization and probably be a lot better. For instance, after having my blood drawn every 6 months for the past few years, I can now do that without fainting.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2015

Wishing you an event less mammo - before, during, after. It's got to go better this time. Meds are a good idea.

9. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

Sending non-fainting vibes. I faint when there are needles and or blood involved and last year I drank water as my blood work was going on and didn't faint!!! So I HIGHLY suggest to bring a bottle or cup of water in to room with you and sip away. I'm amazed at the - I'm sorry but - idiot who wouldn't let you sit. Good luck! And yes, may it ALL be uneventful!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

No fainting this time!
    I wasn't allowed to sit. When I asked, I was told no. But, she was very kind and told me if I gave any indication of not feeling right, she'd race to my aid.
    Luckily, it went well.

11. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

I'm so glad you made it through without fainting. But very curious why they keep telling you that you can't sit. How do women who can't stand get their mammograms done? There has to be a way. Anyway, BRAVA to you!

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2015

Glad everything went well. Your first story sounds like something that would happen in a sitcom!

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

I have been allowed to sit 1 time out of 4.

I was told today, "we don't get good pictures." ??

14. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 5, 2015

Yeah, try to drink before and after blood work, and eat foods that raise your blood pressure. Vasovagal reactions are caused by your blood pressure dropping in response to something like a blood draw.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2015

I'm glad it went well today.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2015

Thanks, everyone! :)

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2015

Glad it went well!

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2015

Really glad that it went well!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2015

Havng a body part flattened like a pancake and scanned while one is holding their breath can be NERVE WRACKING!. :blush:plus you need to stand perfectly still , and have both arms positioned so as to not impede the scan so sipping away on water during the mammogram is pretty much not going to happen. You can, however ask for a break to have some water, sit, nibble on something....My mammo tech offered me a fruit roll up and a 'breather' during my exam as I felt woozy... You can sit in a chair with a roll bar or lay down for a blood draw while mos mammograms are done standing up for better results. The OP originally fainted while her breast was clamped in a piece of medical machinery...so scary :(. So glad things went well this time:love: it's always best to be forthcomng with medical personnel about any concerns, fears or questions so that these can be addressed to best serve the patient. Sounds like that's what happened with the OP's recent mammogram and the OP had a better experience. :thumb: