Male Teachers...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mandagap06, May 19, 2008.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2008

I just wondered how many male teachers/aides there are out there. I sub for Elem. and Special needs classes . I have seen a total of 3 : one was a special needs teacher,one was a special needs aide and one was a 4th grade regular teacher. Guys speak up for yourself. I have seen some in middle and highschool when I was in it not many tho.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 19, 2008

At one elementary school, I saw three male adults. One was the custodian, one was the coach for PE, and one was a fourth grade teacher.

At the school where I am currently (herding cats, pulling hair out) teaching, they only adult males are the custodian, principals (AP and P), and PE coach. The only time the elementary kids see an adult in the academic classroom is when they have a male sub, of which there are two at our school.

4. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

May 19, 2008

I teach 6th grade Language Arts, and there are only 2 other 6th grade male teachers, in addition to myself. In 7th grade, there are 2, and 2 in 8th grade. There is 1 male asst.principal; that's it. I had a friend one time ask me why I didn't choose a profession that's more "manly"...I was like,"What? What's wrong with a guy who wants to teach?"
    I graduated about 2 years ago with a bachelor's in English, and I enjoy every aspect of school and sharing with others what I know. I don't see anything wrong with men wanting to teach.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 19, 2008

There are 3 male teachers and one male TA at my school. One of the male teachers teaches preschool.

Our teaching staff is 16 and there are 9 TA's.

Oh, our school has a "history" of having male teachers at the younger end, because they believe it's good for kids to have male and female teachers at all ages, not just in 4th and 5th grade...(a lot of male teachers teach those levels and up) but right now, we have a number of male teachers who have retired or left, and are down to 3! I'll bet anyone who knows me five bucks that when our school hires another teacher, they will be male. When we had a change recently between the upper and lower schools (preschool-k/elementary) they moved a male teacher to the elementary for this reason "we want a male teacher in the building." Um, sure. He's great, but there are other teachers who WANTED to move from preschool-k to elementary, and he was happy where he was I believe.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 19, 2008

We have a small program but there are only 2 male teachers and 1 male aide. We have had a few male interns but that's about it. Last year we had an interesting year because with a male secretary. He's a funny guy! He is now a teacher at the high school. Our custodians are female. Funny how I think maids and housekeepers are females but custodians are males. Am I right in the use of that word? My housekeeper is a husband/wife team. Sometimes their grown children pitch in.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 19, 2008

We have 3 male teachers at our school, all 6th grade teachers.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

In the school I student taught at, there was 1 male teacher. In my school last year, the only male was the AP, including custodians and lunch personnal.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 19, 2008

When I subbed, one of the most seasoned (and favorite) 1st grade teachers was male. In my school we have 3 men in the jr. high wing (6-8 gr.) and a male PE teacher.

10. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

May 19, 2008

In my elementary building I am one of two male teachers. The other teaches fourth grade.

11. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

May 19, 2008

At our school we have about 60 employees total. Our principal is male and so is our nurse and one of the secretarial staff. 8 are teachers and 4 are support staff(registrar, maintenance, etc). I find that DoDDS schools in general seem to have more males than the average school district.

12. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 19, 2008

My school actually has quite a few male teachers, with myself being one of them. Our staff is actually almost split 50/50 in terms of male to female teachers. My school is pretty small, though, so take that for what it's worth...

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 19, 2008

My school has an equal umber of male and female teachers and administration. We only have 3 male TAs.

14. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

May 20, 2008

My high school actually has more male teachers than female!

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 20, 2008

Funny that teaching was once an almost exclusively male profession. Now it is almost the complete opposite!

16. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

May 20, 2008

We have 5-- PE, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th.

17. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

May 20, 2008

I just got hired on with 7 other people, and 3 of the 8 (including myself) are male.

The most I've seen in one building was 12 out of about 60.

I definitely see more guys in 4th/5th than primary classrooms.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 20, 2008

20% of the teachers in my school are males not including the specials teachers who are mostly males. There were more but they don't seem to stay very long.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 21, 2008

Guys I am only judging Elem. Schools. I know there are many middle and Highschool male teachers. I also wanted them to step up in this Thread. Not you as female saying we have this many males.I wanted to see if a male would say I am male and I teach w/e.

20. 3rdgraderules!

3rdgraderules! Rookie

May 21, 2008

"I am male and I teach w/e."

4th/5th looping for 6 years, 3rd grade for 6 years. One of 3 men out of 12 teachers until last year when one male teacher retired and was replaced by a female. Only male teacher in 3rd grade or lower at my school in twelve years of teaching.

21. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 21, 2008

I have worked in about 70 elementary school as a sub over the last 10 years. I would estimate that the typical school has an average of about three male teachers, with two of the three in 4th grade or higher.

22. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

May 21, 2008

2nd grade male teacher, signing in

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 21, 2008

Out of my two children, only one has ever had a male CLASSROOM teacher. He had a 2nd grade male teacher. He loved it! His favorite stories were about a daily read from the Ripley's Believe it or Not or the Guiness Book of World Records. Sometimes they were a little gross but that's perfect for a boy (and sometimes for a girl too)!

24. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

May 22, 2008

Male high school English teacher here. Second career. Of course, there are many male teachers at the high school level, but never enough.

25. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

May 22, 2008

One of the first grade teachers in our building talked about how many of their students needed a male role model. To me it's a little scary thinking of myself as a role model for these kids. The burden is huge.

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 2, 2008

A male teacher in elem.schools is a good thing. It shows little boys that they can be a teacher if they want to. It shows them that it is not just for females. Also, it gives them a diff, outlook most female teachers put a very girly spin on there stuff and a male kinda balances everything out you know. I know when I was in elem. school I never had a male teacher. My sister had a male teacher for 3rd grade. She loved him he was one of her favorite teachers. He was also very concerned about her when she was sick for a few weeks.