Male Teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by rtay, Aug 31, 2011.

1. rtay

rtay New Member

Aug 31, 2011

Hi everyone. My name is Ryan and I'm in my last year of college and for an assignment in one of my classes I have to post a question on a teaching forum. My question, being an aspiring male elementary teacher, is what is your view(s) on male teachers in the general classroom? I've done a few practicums and the only male teachers I find are in P.E., computers or music, never in the general classroom. Thanks everyone for your help!

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 31, 2011

I am not a male teacher, BUT my boyfriend is. If you don't mind my two cents, I would like to say that I hope you will seriously consider teaching elementary school because there are very few men (at least in my county) at the k - 6 level. I work at a huge school that has 4 - 6 teachers per grade level and in the entire school, there are only five male teachers...actually 3 because one of them is a paraprofessional and the other teaches gym.

The kids are being underserviced because the world is not all women. Also, a lot of boys and girls may not have a strong and positive male role model in their life and need to see one while they are young.

Does that mean it'll be easy? No. Some people might scoff or look at you weird that you're a guy in elementary school. But you have to do what you feel is right

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2011

I wish we had more male teachers in our K-grade 8 school. This coming year there will be three--all classroom teachers and are wonderful. All of our students, not just boys, need to recognize that teaching is not a "woman's job".

5. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 31, 2011

The school I'm working in has a pretty good ratio, but there are more women. I never ran the math, but it seems like there's one male to every two female teachers at the elementary level.

In high school it seems to even out, but it's still just people filling out "traditional" roles...males are math, industrial arts, etc. Would be nice to see more females in math and science at the HS level and more males at the elementary level. Some day, some day.

6. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Aug 31, 2011

I think having male teachers is so great for kids in that they get to have a male role model, which many of them might not have at home. It also helps dispel the rumor that teaching elementary is a "girls' job." I really liked having male teachers in elementary; for the most part they were not into "cutesy" things, and that was great for this tomboy!

7. sparksa

sparksa Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

As a male kindergarten teacher, I have found that not only do school staff and faculty love the thought of male teachers at the elementary school, so too do parents. I had MANY (well...4-5) families request me for their child simply because I'm a male. Of course, this leads into a conversation about stereotypes and such, but I'll refrain. Most parents that I've encountered equate "male teacher" with "stern force." I'm not really a "stern force", but I can pull that out when I need to -- just as any female teacher can.

Also, one thing that I was NOT prepared for were the off-the-wall comments about sexuality and such. I had two students' parents ask me if I was in a heterosexual or homosexual relationship. I was definitely caught off guard by that. And, at the same time, I understand their curiosity. It's not often you find a male elementary school teacher, let a lone a male elementary kindergarten teacher.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2011

It always surprises me how brazen some people are.

9. elementaryguy

elementaryguy New Member

Aug 31, 2011

Things to think about

First, as a guy in elementary education, I have to say how truly amazing women teachers are. I often watch woman teachers with amazement. I worked hard construction jobs when I was younger and nothing compares to how challenging and difficult it is to teach in the elementary classroom. Woman do things that are simply amazing, from bulletin boards to classroom parties and more. That being said, it is an amazing job. I love it!

Here are some quick thoughts from my 10+ years in elementary ed:

One of the things to think about as a guy in elementary education. 90% of elementary teachers are woman. I love my fellow teachers, but it can be lonely. I rarely have someone to talk to. You'll find out quickly that it is difficult to share "guy" experiences with woman.

Two, most female teachers think that boys will thrive with a male teacher. I've found that girls thrive in my classroom. They get more freedom and a different perspective. Boys can't get away with anything in my room, but the girls can. Sue me!

Most books in elementary education are made for women. It is hard to find good guy books that have heart. They're out there but you have to look.

Women can be mean to each other. I'm still blown away with how women judge each other at work.

Those are just some quick things. We need more guys to compliment all those amazing female teachers.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2011

I hope you newcomers stick around. Glad to have you here.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 31, 2011

Of our seven K-6 teachers, only one is a male. We have one teacher per grade level.

12. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 31, 2011

I've taught the last 10 years in Kindergarten and Primary (1st and 2nd) and I'm a male teacher. There are only 2 males at my current school out of 35 teachers and in the past I have been the only male out of 40.

It is a lot harder to make friendships that go beyond the school when you're a male teacher. I am very friendly with many of the women I work with and consider a lot of them to be friends, but while they may go out for a drink together, hang out outside of school, etc. I can't really do that.

Though I did meet my wife when she was teaching in the classroom next door to me... ;)

Some principals will stick you with all the kids who need "a strong male role model." That translates to problem kids often. One year I had 14 boys and only 6 girls in my class and about 6 of the boys had serious behavior problems.

Principals and other women teachers will make assumptions about me based on a stereotypical man (which I am not), that can get old. No, I don't like sports, I can fix a girl's ponytail when it falls apart, I am quiet, patient, caring and compassionate, no I don't want to coach a sport or be a principal one day, I do like doing crafts, no I'm not gay, I do have a beautiful wife....etc.

I had a parent this year at open house get on my "bad list" right away when, before she even saw my classroom (which is bright and inviting) claim that it probably needed some help because I'm a man and there's no way I could possible decorate a classroom correctly...sheesh.

Unlike many jobs, elementary teaching is the women's world and there are challenges with invading it...but it's all worth it!

13. bowler

bowler Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

Of our 32 teachers (including specials), 12 are male. I am super excited to have a male join our 5th grade team (3 of us per grade level). It is always a good thing to have more positive role models for the students.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011

Being a male teacher in elementary has its plusses and minuses that is for sure. Some of which have already been mentioned. We have a small group of male teachers at my school and being in the minority can of course come with its challenges. I have been apart of more female related conversations at lunch than I can care to shake a stick at, but you get used to it.
    I will say, being a male elementary school teacher that is good at what you do, can put you in high demand. If you are okay with working with a bunch of women and not having as much opportunity to create male friendships through work, go for it. If you get along better with women, go for it. Just depends on what you want, don't worry about the outside perceptions of the job.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 31, 2011

I think it's great that men want to teach elementary...what I don't understand is why it's such a big deal. I think it's sad that in 2011 elementary teaching is still largely a "women only" career and it's seen as "weird" when a man wants to teach elementary. One of our 4th grade teachers is male. He's a great teacher, as are many of the women I work with. I don't think it has anything to do with him being male, though- he's good at what he does. He does offer a different perspective with the kids, which is great...I wish we had more than just one "different perspective" though.

My dad teaches elementary special ed. Don't get me wrong- he's very good at his job and he "knows his stuff" better than most teachers I've ever met. However, I find his school puts him on a pedestal simply because he's a man in an elementary, and teaching special ed at that! I've witnessed it myself...his words are golden, the P does whatever he wants, anytime there is a staff incentive program or a reward, he gets it, he's seen as "the expert" (in a building of over 100 teachers) on MANY topics. His admin are not good people to work with, and often terrorize people for no apparent reason. He's pretty much the only one in the building that doesn't live in fear of them. Two years ago, they fired the entire special ed department except for my dad (7 teachers) with no other explanation than "they weren't quality teachers." He worked really closely with 2 of them and said they were great. I have to think some of this is simply because of his gender, which is also sad to see in 2011.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011

We have about 5-7 classes on each grade level and this year we will have only 1 male classroom teacher. (I'd say there are about 4 other male teachers in the building, 4 or 5 male paraprofessionals.) I wish it was a little more even.