Male teachers: Tie or no tie?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Southernese, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

I'm going to be teaching high school for the first time in the fall, after teaching college for 3 years. As a college instructor, my wardrobe has been ridiculously casual, because I'm not that much older than my students and there is no "respect gap," if you know what I mean.

But I know public school is a different animal and I'm going to have to dress more professionally. My question is, how many male teachers out there wear ties?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

I'm not a guy, but I graduated HS in 2001. I'd say the majority did not wear a tie. Some did, and some did on occasion. The younger male teachers usually wore either a polo shirt or a shirt and tie.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2008

In my middle school, none of the men wear ties. In fact, they all wear jeans every day. When it's hot, many wear shorts. It's nuts. The women are held to much higher standards dress-wise.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 10, 2008

My former school had only 2 male teachers. THey both wore ties each day. One didn't like it, but our admin insisted.

My current school...we only have 1 male teacher, and he teachers pe, so he can wear athletic clothes, and he does.

If it were me, I'd wear a tie the first few days, and look around at what the other male teachers at your school wear.

Sometimes, there are "unwritten rules" about such things...like in my former school.

In my current school, the admin doesn't like people wearing athletic shoes. So I don't wear them. Every school has its own culture.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

I like Rainstorm's advice...maybe the first couple days. I know when I taught the "young" teacher wore the polo type shirts.

When I was in HS I had a couple male teacher who would wear ties on occasion. Mostly they just wore the dress shirts with out the ties.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

Yeah, plan to wear a tie on your first couple of days. During that time, take a look at the other male teachers and take your cue from them.

In general, I'd say that it's perfectly acceptable to wear nice khakis or Dockers and a button-up or rugby-style shirt.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

Besides...what's wrong with a GREAT impression on your first day?!?

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 10, 2008

I'm with everybody else. Wear a tie the first few days and get a feel for the culture at the school.

By the way, I went from college prof to middle school teacher, so if you want a bit of unsolicited advice, I'd like to tell you to also plan to spend the first month or so getting used to an entirely different environment. It's great, I love it, but it's sooooooooooooo very different.

10. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

To specifically answer your question, Southernese, I wear a tie every day (except on our bi-weekly dress-down days. Most male teachers at my school wear a tie, as that is expected. However, everyone else's advice on school culture is right on.

11. Semaphoriangs

Semaphoriangs New Member

Feb 11, 2008

Hey! That's interesting. You have an option to wear or not to wear...
    One of my friends had to have a tie compulsory. And he never knew it so I referred him a website called 2tieatie.com for learning how to tie a tie.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 11, 2008

I wear a tie close to everyday, mos tthe teachers at my school wear a dress shirt, polo, or rugby shirt with dockers or other nice khakis. We all weare jeans on Friday.

13. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 11, 2008

Last semester, I didn't wear a dress shirt and tie, but I wore a Polo and nice slacks fairly often. I was a little less than excited to get lab materials on my fancy clothes!

But since I don't have to worry about labs anymore, I sort of switch it up. Fridays are our "jeans and dress down" day.

14. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 11, 2008

We have a teacher at our elementary who wears a tie once a week and the kids (mostly boys) do too. It has built a fun bit of community in his room. If it's not required, then I would suggest you try that with the High schoolers, it might teach them a bit of self respect and then they'll know how to tie one when they have a job interview :)

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2008

Unfortuanately, from what I've seen........ it doesn't matter.... Most likely anything you pull out of your closet will work... :p:p:p:lol: ...

And dont' look for copies of GQ in the teacher's lounge.......:lol::lol:

Major.......:):)

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 11, 2008

Southernese, you might not know it, but not only does a tie get everyone's attention and set the standard that you are not one of the gang, but all the women I have asked about this question agree that when a man wears a tie, he is much more attractive for some reason!! I guess it just gets more attention. Maybe the civilian version of a uniform, and, well, you know what they say about a man in uniform!!

Now I just celebrated my 23rd anniversary. My hubby wears ties regularly and looks fabulous.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2008

Well guess who will be wearing a tie when he subs on Wednesday.........:D:D:D........ :lol::lol::lol:

(No more sweaters and dockers for the Major........:lol::lol:)

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2008

I agree to go with a tie for first few weeks of school. Not only will you get the student's respect, but it will give you the opportunity to see whether or not the other male teachers wear them.

On a side note, ChangeAgent and bluelightstar, I honestly thought you were female! :sorry:

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 11, 2008

Major, all it takes is a little insider information right??

20. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Feb 11, 2008

You know, that's a good point. It could be a class solidarity type thing.

And yes, it would help if more people knew how to tie a tie, or else Windsor knots could be extinct pretty soon.

21. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2008

Our male teachers do not wear ties execpt on mass days (Catholic School). We have a "professional" dress code but no one has ever truly defined the word professional. It has gotten to be a joke during the beginning of school faculty meetings. In general, at least where I live, professional dress has become to mean khaki pants and polo shirts. My husband is an engineer and when he started working, all he wore were dress shirts and ties. His company went to polo shirts several years ago and now he only wears ties when he has any major meetings.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2008

None of our male teachers regularly wear a tie. Most will wear one for school pictures and parent/teacher interviews, but that's about it.

23. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Feb 11, 2008

I don't wear a tie.

Before I started, I asked the head of my department about the dress code. He said it was casual.

The teachers at my school range from slobbish up to suit and tie. I decided to dress somewhat professional (button up shirt, dress pants, etc...) in order to distance myself from the students.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2008

I always like a tie.... it makes an outfit look finished. This is of course a woman's opinion.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2008

I think it looks professional, and makes you stand out. If you are not wearing a polo shirt, or school spirit shirt, I would go with the tie. On dress down, and/or non-student days, a t-shirt is fine, as long as you still have your ID. I think it just looks nicer.

Sets the stage for our young folks. The basketball players have to wear a suit now, can't just show up at the games looking like whatever whenever. We know they make enough! :rolleyes:

I notice when an alderman or commissioner or other elected official is on the news, and not wearing a tie, it looks tacky. Unless you are at home, or some fundraiser, or a picnic, I think professionals should always wear a tie. It looks nice, and makes you stand above the crowd.

if no tie, at least the ID.

I had principal who was very young, and one casual Friday he wore a school uniform red shirt and khaki pants. He looked like the biggest 7th grader on the planet. :lol: I mean, sheesh..he could have at least wore his ID, a whistle or had his shirt monogrammed!

yeah, this is a girl's opinion!

26. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Feb 11, 2008

In Dallas, male teachers must wear ties. So yeah, I have the noose around my neck everyday. Except casual Fridays, when I sport the male thong.

27. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2008

bonneb, I love insider information...........:D:D:D:

Happen to know the price of a barrel of oil .. in say 6 months........:toofunny:

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

I second bonneb's opinion...men it ties are just plain HOT :D

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2008

Now that must be Highland Park or Plano..........:):):)

I spent many a day in Dallas wearing a coat and tie.......:D:D.. but not in a school.......:p

Major....:)

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2008

Every school has their own sort of dress style. At my school, it's pretty casual. I think you might want to see what everyone wears, but I would start out pretty dressy and then if the others are dressed more casual, then you can follow.

31. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2008

Wow!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:........ I just put a tie on for happy hour...:lol::lol::lol:

32. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Feb 12, 2008

I concur! ;)

Anyway, I have no issue with wearing a shirt and tie. I don't feel restricted, and I do think it "looks" professional. Of course, as we see with the responses here, it does depend on the school and location.

I think the only time it strikes me odd at school is when physical education teachers do not wear ties. Of course, I understand the practicality/necessity of not wearing a tie, but some of our physical education teachers also teach health on the same day, so there is a striking difference between a physical education/health teacher and myself. But, overall, go with what your school requires and your preference (if you have a choice after the former).

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

Did I miss happy hour yet????:D:D:D

34. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2008

Of course not.....I'll keep the bar open for you .... so come on over.......... remember to bring a coat.... and not a Miami weight coat............:D:D:p:p

35. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

On my way...I'll bring the coat I take to the ice arena for DS's lessons and stuff. That should be okay. I can bring the absolute as well if you're running low :)

36. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2008

That coat should work.......:D and we never run low of anything........ :p:p:p

However, I would like to come out of my tie.........:lol::lol::lol:

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

:p:p:p:p:p;);););)

Only if your wife says you can

38. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 12, 2008

I wear a tie, stranglewear, three days out of the week, and at least a button down shirt and slacks the others.

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2008

When I was a kid, the only time my gym teacher wore a time, we didn't recognize him! we were shocked to see him in a shirt and tie. I think we had an assembly or something that day!

40. Semaphoriangs

Semaphoriangs New Member

Feb 15, 2008

Uniform is good

I think the uniform indicates a discipline and hence i personally believe in uniforms be it at students level, teacher or outside-professionals.
    And about tie that has been discussed here by my friends at length- wearing tie is good and gives you different charm!:)

41. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2008

When I used to occaisonally wear some pants and a real shirt my kids would be like "coach, you have on clothes". It was funny.
    My biggest decision each day is what national championship Tshirt (UF grad) do I wear today with my shorts. I am always comfortable.
    :cool: