Male teacher grooming requirements?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JasonAD, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JasonAD

JasonAD New Member

Jul 9, 2009

Hi,

I'm still in college (due to graduate the end of this year) and I was wondering what kind of grooming requirements are there for male teachers?

I have pretty long hair right now that isn't quite at the middle of my back but close. I have been donating my hair every other year since I was in middle school.

Do public high schools or universities allow a male teacher to have long hair if it is clean and pulled back during work? Would it just hurt my chances of landing a teaching career if I didn't cut it before an interview? Although I do love to donate it, I will depart with it if needed.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Hi and welcome!!!

Sorry, I'm in a Catholic school, so I don't have a clue. In our school, the guys' hair has to be above the collar. But I would imagine that's not true of public school.

One way of getting around it might be somehow including it under "volunteer work" in your resume?? (Keep in mind, it's 6 am, I'm recovering from surgery and have been up since 3 am. Check wtih someone more rational before you actually do this.)

I did want to welcome you, and commend you for your donations!

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

It wouldn't be a problem in my district, but if you are concerned when you start interviewing, maybe you could do a donation before you start. Once you find a job, it would be a good question to discuss with your mentor.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

It wouldn't matter in any of the districts I've subbed in--but they were larger, fairly progressive districts. Actually, a lot of the male earth science teachers I know have long hair! I think that as long as your overall appearance is neat and professional, it would only be an issue in smaller, more conservative districts.

Definitely find a way to include your long involvement in this on your resume! This is exactly the sort of thing that shows a positive community engagement that is a great trait for a teacher to have.

6. JasonAD

JasonAD New Member

Jul 9, 2009

Thanks for the replies.

I am in Georgia at the moment, right outside the Atlanta area. I tried to google the question but all I received was student standards rather teacher standards.

Thanks again!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

I'm very far away, but it wouldn't matter here at all.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

If they are doing interviews, it will be a way for you to stand out.

I agree with Alice, I would find a way to bring it up that you donate it.

Good luck!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Wouldn't matter here either, though I too am very far away.

I agree, donate before an interview if possible and bring it up there. I'm thinking it could be a good fundraiser for the school as well... not selling the hair, but I've seen fundraisers where if students fundraise a certain amount a teacher will shave their head. Then, you get double the bang for your buck! Hair goes to cancer patients, fundraising money goes to whatever your school is raising money for!

Tell them if they hire you, you can help them make money! :lol:

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

I dont know what level you are, but i have seen where elementary schools will have a hair drive to donate the hair, since all the little girls tend to have long hair.

11. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

It depends entirely on the school you're interviewing at.

I think you should be fine keeping it long so long as you keep it back in a ponytail, and of course explaining you grow it to donate won't hurt at all either.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Well, considering we just hired someone at our school with hair down to his waist, it definitely wouldn't matter at my school. But, I do have to admit that my school has a sort of hippie culture attached to it.

13. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

One of the teachers in our distict has had long hair since his student teaching days... middle of back or longer. He was the science coach this past year (worked with other science teachers to improve teaching practices and connect classrooms). I don't think it would be a problem, if it was well kept. I would definitely try to mention how long you have been doing this, and the rationale behind growing out your hair (donating, vs. just not cutting).

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Also, as an aside:

As someone who recently experienced radiation treatments (though not chemo-- my hair wasn't effected) :

THANK YOU!!

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 9, 2009

It wouldn't matter here as long as it's clean and pulled into a pony.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 9, 2009

It depends on where you are applying. In my district it would probably put you lower on the list to be hired if at all.

17. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

If you are looking for a job in the Atlanta or metro-Atlanta area, it shouldn't be a problem. We're all pretty progressive in the big districts. I really don't even think it'd be a problem in the smaller disctricts in north or south GA, either.
    I agree that it would be a great topic to discuss in an interview, and I think schools would appreciate you for your service.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

I think it depends on the school. It would be a great thing to add to an interview! And thank you for the donations!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 9, 2009

I'm in a rural, fairly conservative area, and I can't see it mattering here either.

I have worked with men who had long hair, long beards, and visible tattoos. Clean & appropriately dressed seems to matter more.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2009

Unfortunately, here too :( I think it's great though, it wouldn't matter to me!

21. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

It wouldn't matter in my district either. Our long hair teacher works next door to a bald one. They joke that their twins.

22. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

It would not be allowed in my district. Brushing the top of the collar is the standard for male teachers. However, I agree with the other posters. Donate before the interview and bring it up later.

23. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I teach in a small, rural district about about a 1.5 hour drive from Atlanta. I don't think it would matter here because I know one of the middle school science teachers has long hair. Whenever I have seen him he has it pulled back.

~Briana~

24. Braves09

Braves09 Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

My freshman english teacher had long hair. He just kept it pulled back in a ponytail.

25. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

I had a friend that was told when he started student teaching that he needed to get his hair cut (it was down to the middle of his back...he put it in a pony tail). He was unwilling to do this so he quit the math ed undergrad and went on to get his bachelors and eventually his Ph.D. in pure math. He is now a Math Professor.

26. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 9, 2009

I think it could make a difference in an interview. If you have more relaxed interviewers/Principal, they probably wouldn't care what your hair was like as long as it was clean and neat. But, if you happened to land a more traditional P for the interview, it would be counted against you, probably without the interviewer even being aware of it.

So if you donate your hair before your interview process, you will have an advantage either way. It is super important to present yourself physically as a serious professional, and some people just don't see long hair fitting in there. Kinda hard to understand, but you have to remember we are all products of our times, so it is a reality and should be addressed. Good for you for thinking ahead.

Once you get the job though, you could probably let your hair grow out, keep it neat as possible, and if the P says anything, just mention that you have been growing it out to donate for people with cancer (I am assuming) and you can proabably do what you want. This will be after the P and the parents have gotten to know you aside from your hair! So it will be a much easier thing. That first impression - with all the competition for jobs, every little detail is important. Be sure to shine your shoes too!

27. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

Frankly, I agree with bonneb.... you may not know it, but it might count against you. I know that nobody at my school would outwardly say its a problem, but I can almost be certain that you would lose points for it anyway. I would air on the side of caution really...

As for the individual who refused to cut his hair and actually quit the teaching program.... I'm sorry, but that seems absurd to me. If your hair is more important than your potential career, that's just sad. But to each their own I suppose........ if it would help me get a job (when I was searching anyway) I would have shaved my head if they asked... heck, I'd probably have done cartwheels if they asked me to.

28. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

In my district it would be fine as long as you pulled it in a pony tail (neatly) for the interview. However, some schools will not let you student teach if you have long hair, tattoos that show, multiple piercings, etc.

29. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

That's because very few public school districts even have teacher standards. You'll be absolutely fine. I might hack it off for the interviews but otherwise I wouldn't worry one bit.

30. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

If they didn't like his hair what else would they have wanted him to change. At least now he can have his hair as long as he wants and styled any way he wants. He doesn't have to dress 'nice' when he teaches either. Most importantly, he is still teaching math (more interesting math than what he would have been teaching in a HS setting).

31. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

I have not personally had cancer, but I echo Alice's sentiments.

Thank you!

32. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

Okay, you need to remember, the people interviewing you are not the young, rebellious generation. They will probably frown upon long hair, even if they say they are not. I say cut the hair. Dress up ultra fancy. Get the job then bring it up.

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

I had pink hair in college. I loved it. But I stopped dying it the minute I started interviewing for jobs. I only recently started again after leaving the classroom setting. I doubt I could keep it if I went back. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair, but it's just the way it is.

That said, I'm rooting for your long hair. ;)

34. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I love that you grow your hair out for a cause. We pick a charity each year at my school to raise money for and we did Locks of Love a few years back. Many of the kids donated their hair which was really nice.

I think it really depends on the school climate and the specific people interviewing you. Some may form opinions and some may not. However, I think it is safe to say that the majority would be more than fine with it if they were aware of the reason.

I like the ideas about either mentioning it on your resume as 'volunteer' work or else seeing if you can do a donation just prior to interviews.

Also, if you have any type of website or are creating a DVD to send with resumes then maybe you could include something about it with pictures.

35. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

This is exactly what I was thinking (well, not the young & rebellious part), but I would bring it up later.

You will get a feeling about your school's culture and atmosphere after you have worked there a bit. It would not fly at my school, but could at others perhaps.

36. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

I think it would be fine as a teacher at my school, but not for an interview. Strange, but true. People generally expect you to come to an interview looking top notch, and for guys, that is still with shorter hair, suit, polished shoes, well groomed. Even if all the male teachers are wearing jeans and Nikes, the interviewee has to meet a standard. I think it just implies you are serious about getting the job. Once you have the job, you are in like Flynn! In most places. :D

37. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

First impressions count!!!

I'd cut my hair before the interview!

For my interview, I wore a really nice suit, shiny new shoes, and had my hair styled conservatively (I currently have a faux-hawk). I was freshly shaved and smelled nice, too. One of the interviewers commented on how well-dressed I was! :D

You only get ONE first impression! :thumb:

38. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

I guess I will say- present yourself as a serious professional and perhaps bring up the fact you donate your hair (either during the interview if you get to talk about yourself or a little later after you let your hair grow out). You've done this for quite some time, and it's awesome- I'm sure there will be an administrator out there who sees you as an inspiration. You can perhaps even get students to join you in the cause and make it a bigger event at your school.

What other things will you tell your interviewer about yourself besides the fact you have donated your hair, also?