Male OBGYNs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jerseygirlteach, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2013

Yep I know, call me chicken. I just hope that when I go, there's a nice, good lady doctor who I can go to.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2013

Ms. I, you really need to be seeing this kind of doctor. The recommendation is to see one by age 18 or when you become sexually active, whichever comes first. There are many reasons to go see one. That part of your body is at least as important as your hair or teeth, and I'm sure you get those taken care of by competent professionals regularly. Please make an appointment soon. There are lots of problems that can exist without any symptoms.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2013

OK, well TMI, but, I haven't become sexually active on a REGULAR basis until a yr ago.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2013

1. Regularity and frequency have nothing to do with it.

2. Surely you're over 18.

Please make an appointment.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 12, 2013

Ok, but you're over 18 so that's enough of a reason. Yes, being active is a good time, but seriously, it's important. Do you mind if I ask...are you in your 30's?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2013

At the very least, one needs to discuss this with one's primary care provider.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 12, 2013

It doesn't matter if you're sexually active at this point. If you're a teen and not yet active, sure, it can wait. By the time you reach your 30s, you've waited far too long.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 12, 2013

My uncle had my cousins start seeing some of his colleagues when they were 13-15.

Not anyone in his practice, of course.

My uncle specializes in high risk pregnancies and other high risk things involving the lady parts. He leaves a lot of medical journals lying around his house. Even when we go for Christmas and other holidays :p

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2013

13-15 is young.:2cents: I find it incredibly odd that you would know ANYTHING about your female cousins' gynecological visits. :unsure:

I'm a teacher...I have professional books and magazines around my house....

10. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 13, 2013

I started going at around 13-15 for medical reasons. 15 doesn't seem too soon to me, considering how common issues with teen sexuality are (pregnancy, etc). A quick search tells me that the average age that most US teens have intercourse for the first time is age 17, so it doesn't seem far fetched that many would be starting to be active or at risk for being active at 15. I would agree that it's way too young to be sexually active, but better to be careful and safe than sorry.

Don't think there's anything wrong with medical information around the house. We're all humans. :)

11. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 13, 2013

My uncle is a bit eccentric :p. He'll open up some of his medical journals at parties and read some of the odd article titles out loud. He's very jovial.

He'll be very candid at family functions and he'd talk about it like "Yeah, we had ____ see one of my colleagues for a yearly visit." or "Yeah, we're going to have ____ see one of my colleagues sometime soon because it's getting to that time."

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 13, 2013

Please don't feel like you have to defend/explain your family to people here. :)

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 13, 2013

I agree. I didn't think there was anything strange about it in the first place. I mean, I don't post about private medical issues on Facebook, but I do tell family members and friends about them. (Maybe not all the gross details, but just the general what's going on.)

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 13, 2013

Am I the only one that feels this thread has taken the express train to Crazytown?

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2013

I agree--and I have a problem with a teacher calling someone's family or family culture odd in the first place. How are we supposed to respect our students if we make judgments?

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 13, 2013

This entire conversation is an interesting one, and I do find the male perspective, for the main part, enlightening. I'll have to tell my (male) doctor about this when I see him on Tuesday. He'll get a kick out of it, especially if I tell him I mentioned his stirrup issue.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 13, 2013

There is really nothing to fear (and I pass out in doctor's offices often; I have an extreme case of white coat syndrome ... doctor offices and hospitals terrify me). The real fear is not knowing that you might have unknown issues that many women catch early due to yearly exams.

The actual exam isn't my favorite thing to do in the world, but it isn't painful. Every doctor I've ever been to for a pelvic exam has been very aware that it is an uncomfortable thing for a woman to be "exposed" in such a way and have been very good at making it a quick and painless experience.

The worst part for me is the breast exam, I get the giggles when the doc checks under my arms. I'm sure it is a nervous response, but it does tickle, too.

I seem to remember that we are close to the same age ... I've been getting a yearly exam for 20 years (since I turned 18). I started mammograms 3 years ago ... you can't put these off any longer. Make yourself schedule an appointment by the end of the day. If I can do this (and I faint in doc offices often), you can do this.

18. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Nov 13, 2013

I, too, started seeing one at about 13 or 14 for medical reasons, so I guess I don't see the big deal in it, especially if the kids are sexually active. I Hope kids aren't sexually active at that point, but it happens. It's so important for people who are with a new partner (or have never been checked out) to get STD-tested!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 13, 2013

ku_alum, you're right. Thanks for the comments.

20. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 13, 2013

A little, but I honestly think this kind of thing is so important and there's SO much misinformation out there that it doesn't matter if we're a little crazy and off-topic. IMO, it's time to bring womens health out into the open and remove the embarrassment so that we can all be as healthy and happy as possible. :)

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2013

13 or 14 for medical reasons is warranted...perhaps that was the situation in an earlier post...Its not the 'norm' for most of that age, however. Look at the number of women on this thread who are partial to one gender over another, have strong opinions about what kind of doctor is better, and a few who are hesitant/anxious about seeing an OB/Gyn....imagine how much more uncomfortable that experience is for a young teen.
    And yes, as a young teen, (and even as a mature adult), I would be appalled that my private medical interactions were being shared with family members (or online with strangers):2cents:

It's ALWAYS important to choose a doctor you trust and with whom you feel most comfortable...male, female...doesn't matter...make the choice that's right for you...just take care of yourself! Regular health checks can prevent many major health issues.:hugs:

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 14, 2013

I worked with high school students who had children. Most of them were sexually active from age 12-14. I had a student who had to skip a few grades because she had a baby at age 12. A big part of my curriculum was women's health. These teens had very little knowledge of staying healthy.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2013

Sad:(

24. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Nov 14, 2013

I have had both and have found male OB/GYNs to be more considerate, gentle, and listen to me better.

My current is a husband/wife OB/Midwife team and I adore both of them. He has delivered my last 2 babies but I saw both of them throughout the last 10 years.

25. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Nov 15, 2013

At least you have something to take your mind off your crazy school situation :)

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 15, 2013

Ha! No, nowadays, my mind's on my screwy home desktop & how I have to either get it looked at again for the 3rd time OR get a new computer. I'd really like to do the latter.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

My personal life ALWAYS takes precedence over my online life. By a long shot...but it's all about personal priorities.

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2013

bison, what was the "original statement" anyway? What was disgusting? (I don't visit here often.) My neighbor was/is (I assume) very professional...... :confused:

29. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2013

Ms. I, unless you are a "power user" most likely you simply need to run some diagnostics on your computer. It's really quite simple..... If you like send me a PM as to it's (the computer) "behavior" and I will send some recommendations ........:)

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

I believe the following link will take you to the post in question..

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=1828837#post1828837

I've been your friend for a longtime here, major, but when it comes to 'female' concerns, the male species would be advised to tread lightly...your input is at best second hand...and your post, even with a supposed humorous slant, is somewhat off putting...there are some who have posted that a male perspective is welcome, but you really have NO IDEA.:sorry:

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 15, 2013

Thanks a lot Major! I'll PM you, but I'm warning you, it's been quite a fiasco already!

32. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2013

My wife had male ob/gyns deliver our children (though I think she has seen female ob/gyns in the past as well).

Both the males and females have always been very professional.

The way they *should* be enjoying their jobs is by the fact that they're giving important medical care -- not because of some prurient adolescent fantasy.

33. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 16, 2013

:yeahthat:

The post that I called disgusting (I think. May have been a different word) suggested something other than this, which is really not amusing to women who put themselves in a very vulnerable and uncomfortable position when we see our doctors. On the contrary, it's fairly horrifying. I wasn't offended, just thought it was gross and not very funny or appropriate in this thread especially. If you want to be funny, you have to know the right time and place to make your jokes. Save those particular jokes for your boys' nights. :rolleyes:

34. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

It was not my intent to cause trauma or harm to anyone participating in this thread. My reply was not meant to be insensitive or malicious in anyway.

35. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 16, 2013

I found the judgmental and pushy comments far more disturbing than what you posted.

36. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

:huh:
    Seems to be lots of "judgmental and pushy" comments ....... but that's OK .... Nothing to get bent out of shape over ......

For what it's worth ...... I would rather have a prostrate exam done by a female doctor than a male. Not sure but maybe it's because they have smaller fingers .......

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 16, 2013

Hope you saw the recent Stephen Colbert show!

38. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

I have no idea who Stephen Colbert is..... so I didn't see his show. What was the show about?

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2013

40. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2013

This is probably NOT the appropriate response for this forum ......... but THAT WAS HILARIOUS. I will watch it again .........:lol: