Malaysian airliner

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Upsadaisy, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2014

More wreckage suspected to be from the plane was found by the Chinese who shared details today. Any hypotheses about the demise of the flight?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

I have no theories...just heartbroken for those left behind.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2014

Oh, it is so sad.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

My husband, who is a pilot, agrees a lot with the electrical fire theory. It makes sense to me. But don't tell CNN, who is having a field day with conspiracy theories and who-dun-its.

6. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Mar 22, 2014

But then why did they turn and how could the plane fly for several hours if there was a fire?

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

Because the pilots are trained to fly the plane to the closest location to put it in the ground. In the meantime, the busses that control the transponder would have been pulled in an attempt to control the fire.

However, if the fire became out of control, and smoke overcame the pilots, auto-pilot would have kept it in the air until it ran out of fuel, several hours later.

I'm no expert, it's just the theory that makes the most sense to me.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

I don't know, other than I read a quote from someone the other day that said something to the effect of 'sometimes an erratic flight path is heroism, not terrorism'. Without further evidence that something dastardly happened, I tend to look for the most logical and likely explanation. But again, I'm no expert! I only have what I've read, and with no clues in any if the backgrounds of the people on board, it seems likely it was something mechanically wrong, an they did what they had to do to try and save it-unfortunately it didn't work. :(

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

I recently read something similar to this. And the author of the article suggested that the pilots might have flown like that to try to do anything to combat the fire.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

I can't imagine the agony of the families.

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 22, 2014

One hole in that theory. There is evidence that the plane had been diverted off course prior to the last call to air traffic control and that the auto pilot had been programmed to run off course. If that is true, then I say that there is NO WAY that happened. By saying that things would've transpired like this: something happened prior to 1:19 am, the pilot decides to turn westwards to the closest airport, then at 1:19 he communicates with air traffic control who just said to contact the Thai air traffic control because they were about to enter their airspace, and the co-pilot says "Alright. Good night." Anyone in their right mind would've said "Sorry Charlie, we aren't staying on path, we've got an issue, I'm turning westward back into Malaysian airspace. Forget Thailand."

And it is way too freaky that the transponder goes 2 minutes after the last call to air traffic control. AND right at the exact time where air traffic control would expect them to leave their airspace.

With that said, freaky things happen all the time. It very well could've been an electrical issue.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

I was reading the headlines of the National Enquirer while I was waiting in line at the grocery store.

The theory on the front page was that both pilots were terrorists or terrorists in training and that the plane was hijacked in preparation for the New 9/11. Or something like that.

14. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 23, 2014

I wish they would just focus on finding it, not what brought it down! If they spent half as much time following the potential flight paths and what little data they have as they did on their conspiracy theories it would be found by now! There is enough technology in this world that they should be able to track it and find it without invading the lives and slandering all of the people on board.

I'm with the electrical theory. Until proven otherwise, it makes the most logical sense.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2014

We were just studying China and their one child policy. Horrible for anyone to lose a child, but this is heart breaking to watch.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

"They" are looking. It's the public and the media who are making up the conspiracy theories.

The link I posted a few posts back addresses the story you posted and some of its holes.

17. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 23, 2014

Sorry, by "they" I was referring to the media. I know they are looking! I also know that they have an enormous search area and a lot of possibilities as to where it could have gone. I know they need to dig a little and try to follow leads, but the media needs to chill and focus on CREDIBLE leads and possibilities.

Just giving my :2cents:.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I don't know. I still say of everything I have heard, the fire makes the MOST sense. There are holes, for sure. But what exists to say that the pilots would hijack their own plane? Or someone on board?Or something else? If the only evidence we have is a few pings, then start with what makes the MOST sense and alter from there. (ETA: I've been on kinda a media blackout this weekend, so if something has come up let me know.) It is incredibly likely we will never know, or at least for some time, exactly what happened. I just know from an aviation standpoint, it makes sense that the pilots would do what they had to to save that plane. Aviate, navigate, communicate.

I hope, for the families' sense and for that reason only, that I'm right. Our world has enough tragedies without manufacturing them prematurely. :peace:

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

The not knowing is driving me crazy. I can't imagine being a family member.

20. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 24, 2014

The families found out via text that the plane is now considered lost and no one survived. By TEXT. I think the way the Malyasian government, or whoever is handling this, has treated the families is terrible.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

That's horrible. :(

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

Sad to find out this way. :(

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

I also heard that the text was in English.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

Just saw a pic of the text on the news.

http://www.businessinsider.com/malaysia-airlines-text-message-to-families-2014-3

It was in English and what I guess is Malay. English is widely understood in Malaysia and "is a compulsory subject in primary and secondary school. It is also the main language spoken in most private colleges and universities. English may take precedence over Malay in certain official contexts as provided for by the National Language Act, especially in the states of Sabah and Sarawak, where it may be the official working language".

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 24, 2014

Someone on the news reported that they thought the Malaysian prime minister made his pronouncement so they could get all the families out of the hotel. Government officials are having a hard time controlling their outbursts because they've had not much progress to report.

26. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 25, 2014

Not to sound insensitive, but were the families really in that much shock? I thought the passengers were already presumed dead...

If someone I loved ever was on a plane that couldn't be located I would assume the worst :(

27. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 25, 2014

I still think they are on an island somewhere, with a smoke monster. Clearly Charles Widmore planted the wreckage in the Indian Ocean so that people would stop looking for the island.

28. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2014

And clearly at coordinates 4°8'15" N 16°23'42" W ;)

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2014

I think you always hope for the best even though part of you might know the worst will most likely be the outcome...look at all the families who continue to look for missing children, the survivors holding out hope for missing family members in the current Washington mudslide...to give up hope is just too difficult.:( so sad for these families...and sadly, no one has really confirmed anything about the glaring wreckage...there's still so many unanswered questions.

This story is sad reality, not tv fantasy.:(

30. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 25, 2014

Agree with both of these statements.