Making writing interesting

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by bonlwick, Jun 11, 2011.

1. bonlwick

bonlwick Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

I am moving to seventh grade this year from eighth. I feel. Do some fairly creative lessons with writing. However, I don't feel I have enough variety to do two years and we will begin looping with the incoming group. The other problem is that the curriculum map for both grades are almost identical. What activities have you used to make writing interesting?

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 11, 2011

I do writing workshop! They love it!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

I too use writing workshop, but I find that writing across the curriculum helps make it more interesting. Can you have the students write letters to Abraham Lincoln convincing him to free the slaves or John Wilkes Booth convincing him not to shoot Lincoln?

Maybe have your students write an ad for an element to pair with.

I find the using RAFTS really help my students in writing and make it more interesting.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

I'm making this up as I go along, so bear with me.

How about having them make up a dictionary of the common text-talk expressions? They they write a letter or paragraph or essay, trying to use as many as possible (yet still have a coherent essay.) Finally, they would have to translate their document into standard English.

I'm just thinking that the text-talk connection might make it more interesting.

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 13, 2011

Alice - like your idea! 8th grade would have a ball with this. It can be collaborative - to come up with all the terms - kind of jigsaw activity? Or each group comes up with 20, share with the class, cross out repeats, add to the list. Each group responsible for one part of the dictionary. Individual essays. Hmmm.... Liking the idea very much!

mopar - what do you mean by RAFTS?

7. bonlwick

bonlwick Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

IDeas

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming! I was originally thinking things like the Play-Doh analogy, the sensory bag, and other hands-on ideas. However, these are great ideas that can be used repeatedly!

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 17, 2011

Alice- my 8th graders this year would have loved your idea. I'm going to have to make a note for next year!!