Making Words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ahodge79, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 1, 2011

Hi Everyone and welcome to a new year!

I was wanting to start using the Making Words lessons, but I was looking for a good way to store the letter cards so students can just come up and get the ones they need. I know the book suggests one of those nut and bolt type drawers so you can pull out the ones you need... but I'm wondering if I already have something so I don't need to buy this.

Any other tips or thoughts about this would be helpful! Thanks.
    Audrey

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2011

I actually just type up a recording page in Word, with boxes across the top for each letter, and then sorting columns on the bottom.

We spend an extra couple minutes cutting out the letters at the beginning of each lesson, but it's so much easier than managing cards, and they can take them home!

4. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 3, 2011

I have a folder for each child. I reuse these each year so we don't have to go through the long process of cutting out the letters each year. The letters are stored in those page protectors for baseball cards. It takes 3 pages per student. Then we use 2 pieces of construction paper for the activity. I use a 9X12 sheet of blue construction paper for the "sky" and then lay a half sheet of brown paper at the bottom of the blue for the "earth". The letters for the current lesson are put on the sky and we build our words on the earth. It seems to work quite well for my second graders. I take up the folders each time we are finished with them so they don't get all messed up in the desks.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

I keep each letter in a zip bag. I assign kids to pass out the letters needed for the lesson. Takes no time at all and the kids love being in charge of a letter!:)

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2011

I used to do it as a small group activity with a parent volunteer so I had made up 6 bags for each lesson and reuse them year to year.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 5, 2011

I started using the Making Words for Home and School books instead of the tiles. I don't have to prepare any sheets and they just cut the letters out at the beginning of the lesson.