Making up stories

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Grammy Teacher, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2012

I have this 5 year old boy in my class who is a bit different in many ways. One thing that many children will do is make up stories about themselves and imaginary friends, etc. Well, this particular boy concerns me. He lives with his mother and has no contact with his father, but talks about his dad all the time. He has resorted to making up lots of stories about his "dad," and he gives his "dad" names that are in reality the names of his friends at school. He makes up things about his "dad," such as,"my dad is a farmer," etc. and he goes on and on. He also makes up stories about his "brother" or "sister," (he has neither,) and the names are friends he has played with recently. He sounds as though he believes all of these stories to be true, although we have talked to him about real and pretend. His mother says he does this constantly at home, too. At what point would you be worried that he can't seem to discern reality from pretend?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 27, 2012

This just breaks my heart. What want and need he is displaying. Does he socialize otherwise? Does he accept his peers for who they are?

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2012

He plays well with others and has a good sense of humor. I talked with his mom about his dad and she said that she doesn't want him in the picture because he is a heavy drinker. It breaks my heart that something can't be worked out so he could see his dad, but I am not familiar enough with the situation to say whether his mom's fears are justified or not.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 27, 2012

This is normal...he is just trying to fit in. I have a little girl that told me stories about her little brother....I totally bought it. He doesn't exist...but I would have swore he did.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2012

I know that the pretend friends, etc is normal. What he does is just a bit different. If he plays at someone's house, he will insist that the person he played with is his brother, sister, etc. and gets very upset if we talk about that person being a "friend," and that he is just "pretending" that the person is his brother, dad, etc. He truly believes them to be a family member. That's the part that I'm concerned about because it's like he doesn't know the difference.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2012

I had "imaginary siblings" instead of "imaginary friends" as a kid. I was so realistic about it that people that didn't know our family as well believed me. I would flip out if someone told me they weren't real. I was an only child and desperately wanted siblings, so I'm sure it was a manifestation of that. I had great parents and a good home life- I just really, really wanted a brother or sister. I don't think it's that unusual. I don't quite remember the age I grew out of it but I know I was for sure still doing it in pre-k, because that teacher kept rejecting my stories about them and I'd get mad at her, haha.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 27, 2012

I think it is normal, too, given his situation. The longing has to come out somehow. At least he is getting along with the other kids.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2012

O.K. thanks guys...I just needed some input because I've never had this exact experience.

10. appleaday180

appleaday180 Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

Although this is an extremely unfortunate circumstance, I truly think that this is a phase and he will eventually conquer it. Given the situation, I'd create a fantasy family as well if I were in his position. haha