Making the switch from 1st to 5th!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, Mar 10, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 10, 2014

I am in my second year teaching 1st grade. I just got a job teaching 5th grade next year. (Self-contained - I know a lot of places departmentalize, but not at this school.) I'm really excited, but also freaking out a little! It's been a long time since I worked with upper elementary - I've been entrenched in primary for quite awhile. I did student teach in self-contained 6th grade, but that was in the fall of 2010! I even teach at a K-2 school this year, so I haven't even SEEN a 5th grader since last year! :p

What can you tell me about 5th grade? Has anyone else made the switch from primary to upper (and hopefully loved it?? lol) Please help me wrap my head around this huge change! :thanks:

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 10, 2014

I moved from 2nd/3rd to 6th/7th. It was great.

Their independence will probably shock you. They won't need as much hand-holding, but still need explicit routines and procedures. What they do in Reading is real different. You will probably focus more on comprehension and less on foundational skills. It's neat!

4. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Mar 11, 2014

You will probably think your whole class is gifted for awhile! :lol:

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 11, 2014

I absolutely love 5th grade!! They are definitely more independent than 1st grade, but they are still very young at heart. I would definitely study up on fractions if you are in a common core state!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 11, 2014

Will you be moving districts, too, YellowDaisies?

I remember the year I got bumped from 2nd grade to 6th grade. I thought, "Wow...they gave me all the smart kids!" I was amazed that most of them could decode pretty well. As the year went on, though, I noticed that many of them had holes. I had to pull out my sound/spelling cards to remind them of some of the phonics rules! I think my 2nd grade background helped me become a good 6th grade teacher because I knew how to teach reading fundamentals! In my district, 6th grade is considered middle school, so I only taught language arts and social studies. I absolutely loved the social studies curriculum!!!

I think you're going to do very well! :hugs:

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 11, 2014

Thank you, that is encouraging! :)

I'm moving to northern California, actually! I've been hoping for this move for a LONG time.

Today I found out that the 5th grade position is tentative - they are not done reorganizing within the current staff. So, we'll see! I'm still interested in hearing everyone's thoughts, though, since I very well might end up in 5th!

Thank you for the responses so far! :) Loveslabs - :lol: - probably! I'm sure the difference would be startling!

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 12, 2014

I moved from 5th to K, then back to 5th! Love 5th grade: independent, yet still kids; more in depth conversations; awesome curriculum; longer attention spans!