Making the news in the UK

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Jun 21, 2017.

1. George Smash

George Smash New Member

Jun 28, 2017

Let us pray not it be happened

2. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 29, 2017

It's weed pulling time again, however if I just pull out the weeds without pulling the root, the same weeds grow back and I end up with more weeds to pull the next time. Gun arguments aside, I wonder if we also need to stop the threat at its root cause--pulling up roots of hate and violence and growing attitudes of love and respect--pulling up roots of giving up on life and growing attitudes of grit, the attitude of "the Little Engine Who Could"--pulling up roots of disorder and confusion and growing attitudes of logically thinking through situations (not drowning in deep waters but following a flowing brook).

Whatever happened to the songs when I was growing up?

Come on, people now, smile on your brother
    Everybody get together
    Gotta love one another right now

Think of your fellow man
    Lend him a helping hand
    Put a little love in your heart

You've got to try a little kindness
    Try a little kindness
    Just shine your light for everyone to see
    And if you try a little kindness
    Then you'll overlook the blindness
    Of narrow minded people on a narrow minded sea

Everything is beautiful in its own way
    Like a starry summer sky or a snow covered winter's day
    Everybody's beautiful in his own way

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony
    I'd like to hold it in my arms and keep it company
    I'd like to see the world for once all standing hand in hand
    And hear them echo through the hills for peace throughout the land

Then there was the Coke commercial, with all these people joining hands, and the lyrics changed to, "I'd like to buy the world a Coke." OK, it was just a commercial to sell a soft drink, but then again, wouldn't that be a start, offering someone a cold drink on a hot day? How about giving a stranger in the parking lot at Aldi's a quarter for their shopping cart and saving them the trip to get the refund? And a most powerful tool is our smile. Smiling at the checkout counter, perhaps even joking a little, even after standing in line 10 minutes. If the cashier accidentally gives us the wrong change, instead of grumbling, we chuckle and say, "Oops!", and let them know there's no problem, it was an easy mistake to make. Perhaps the more kindness we spread, the more it will catch on.

Then there's school. There, in our room, we have them. Those of the future who will either shoot up a school or raise money for victims of a flood. For 9 months we can demonstrate what it means to be kind, caring, and compassionate. For 9 months we can do our best to help each student succeed and not give up on life years down the road. For 9 months we can strengthen their thinking with books, encourage positive logic with mathematics, enliven their curiosity with science. For 9 months we can look at each student and smile. No, we're not magic, there are other powerful forces working against us, but so what! We still have our own power, and we will succeed in guiding some, most, or perhaps even all students in a positive direction. We can, we must, and we will make a difference.