making the classroom cozy!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, May 21, 2008.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 21, 2008

I want to start collecting ideas (and items as I find them cheep!) for making a cozy classroon next year.

Just wondering who had pictures or ideas of things to make the classroom feel more like home......

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 21, 2008

I've seen teachers bring in stuffed animals, pillows, and beanbag chairs. The only thing you have to be careful of if you have cases of lice in your room. You then have to toss or clean the items very thoroughly. I have a rocker in my room. I also have a rug that was purchased for me. I put short valances in the middle of my windows and decals at the bottom of my shades. I also hung a curtain on my door. If you have open cabinets for storage you can hang a curtain from a tension rod to cover the opening.

4. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

May 21, 2008

I try to make my classroom cozy by having familiar things for the students. I have their work all over the walls. It makes it feel like the room belongs to them.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 21, 2008

Furniture- loveseat, couch, lawn chairs, camping chairs, etc.
    Rugs
    Curtains- on windows or over "teacher" bookshelves
    Pictures on the walls- you can laminate one sheet of paper per student. Put their name on it and let them choose work to put up and a drawing (I have several kids who love to draw. I let them chose which drawing is up at any time)
    Lighting- I have several floor lamps and desk lamps around the room. If need be, we can turn off the harsh overhead lights and just go with the other lights!

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 21, 2008

I have a cozy reading corner. I have 2 bean bags, 1 disc chair, and 2 bendable chairs (Target). I had the bean bags and disc chair from college.

In the reading corner I also have paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I have a green circular paper lantern and a purple star.

I have a couple lamps around the room to create softer lighting then the fluorescents.

I have stuffed animals in my room. I have a giant bear that is wearing a t-shirt with my college on it.

I have a rocking chair that I use for read alouds. A family friend donated it to me. You can find rocking chairs at yard sales.

My room is very colorful. I hang their work from the ceiling. I tied clips to string and hung them from the ceiling. I chose bright colored fabric to put on the bulletin boards.

I have a beta fish in a vase with a plant. I also have a 10 gallon fish tank with 2 fish. My students voted and named all 3 fish.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 21, 2008

I have yet to have a classroom of my own (hopefully this August!), but I plan on having lamps in my classroom. Fluorescent lighting is just too harsh!

8. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

May 21, 2008

It sounds like you have large rooms! My classroom is soooo small! I am jealous of all the things you can fit!

9. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

May 21, 2008

Good luck!!!!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

I have to plug www.freecycle.org. Go on, find your local group, sign up and get started! It's a place where people give things away for free, and get things for free. You can even ask for specific items (I just asked for and got a bunch of cute hats/costumes). I went tonight to look at a really cool bar for my back porch and the lady had bamboo day beds which would be great with cushions for a reading center. Free! You can find your couches and rocking chairs and beanbags, ect. I plan on looking for wingback chairs nearer to Sept. for my Hogwarts Common Room reading area. You could also get your lamps off there. I got one and re-painted the shade with stars so it looks really cool when you turn it on. Get creative-who cares if it looks used? Repaint it!

11. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

May 21, 2008

In my small room there was an unused nook that I know the last teacher just had as empty space. It has the attic door and a door to the small copy room between my team/roommates room and mine (we have connecting rooms and yes, we live togeher!)

I took that space and made it my libarary. I have all my shelves back there with my books. I have rugs, a big pillow, a big bear named "Dude" and other animals that were given to me by the students this year (when my dad passed away - I was gone for the first two weeks of school) one we named Arnold (after Arnold Swar... um, Im not trying to spell)

Next year I am adding a bean bag probobly and some good lighting. There isnt any back there and I can probobly run a wire from the copy room!

12. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 21, 2008

My room is decorated in primary colors. I have several plants, lamps, and a nice colorful rug. I have a wicker chair I sit in for read alouds. I use soothing music a lot...first thing in the morning when they walk in the door, during independent writing, etc. Sometimes I will use it during handwriting or something I want them to do a really good job on and say, "I'm going to put on some quiet handwriting music to help you do your best!" It really works! lol I just recently got this Yankee candle plug in and put Buttercream in it and it makes my room smell wonderful! The first morning the kids came in they asked me where the cupcakes were! lol

13. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 21, 2008

I wish I could have plants in my room. They have so many benefits. The air is so dry in my school. My plants always die, not matter how often I water them. I finally had to give up!

14. allyd

allyd Rookie

May 21, 2008

Lamps, lamps, and more lamps. You would be surprised at what you get when you ask parents to donate lamps that they are not using. I also buy cheap ivy vine or seasonal vines and clip them to my blinds at the bottom. I buy inexpensive wreaths to hang in my room. I think framed pictures makes it more like home, too.