Making the back of a bookshelf useful

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, Aug 31, 2013.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 31, 2013

I have a spot in my room where the back of a bookshelf is showing.

I had thought about getting something like this to stick to the back of it to make a dry erase surface.

What I would REALLY like to do is make it magnetic. Is there some kind of peel and stick magnetic type of thing? I have seen a pin on Pinterest with an oil drip pan screwed to the back of the bookcase, but I highly doubt I would be allowed to screw something onto it.

Any other ideas? I'm trying to think of a way to make the back of this bookcase useful for word work. It's not a tall bookcase - I should have measured today, but it only has 2 shelves on the inside.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 31, 2013

Anyone? :(

4. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 31, 2013

I've never tried it so I'm not sure how it would work, but I think there is magnetic paint that you could try. I did a google search and several kinds came up. Maybe that is an option?

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 31, 2013

I think the dry erase sticker would work if the surface is very smooth. Those stickers are very thin so any lumps and bumps will show through when you stick it on.

You could also get a smaller magnetic white board and stick it on the bookshelf with command strips. I've seen ones that are probably the right size at walmart- they're not like individual kid size but they're not huge wall size either.

I also have a back of a bookshelf showing in my room. I'm thinking of covering it with some bulletin board paper and a poster of the US states that I have. I have plenty of wall space and white board space so I'm just trying to make the bookshelf look less ugly. It's REALLY old and not painted well.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

One of our kinder teachers uses large oil drip pans (like from the auto part store) to make extra spaces work for magnets. I'd love to do it, but don't have anywhere to hang them.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 31, 2013

Magnetic paint works well as long as you do a few coats. It has to be on pretty thick for a strong magnetic charge.

8. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 31, 2013

I agree with the magnetic paint. You can also buy it so that it's dry erase/magnetic which would be a great place for a center!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

I did felt last year to cover the back of book shelves and made felt pieces. Not as easy as magnetic/dry erase would be but definitely less forgiving.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

I once used large cork tiles to cover the back of a shelf to pin photos, etc.

I know that Michaels (craft stores) sells rolls of magnetic sheets. However, they aren't large by any mean and you'd need many. They're also not adhesive, so you'd need something like a strong double-sided tape.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 1, 2013

My home office has a a large bulletin board with magnetic paint. It's expensive, and your have to use multiple coats. If you don't stir constantly, the metal flakes settle, and it's not an evenly magnetic surface.

The good part is that you can paint any color over it.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 1, 2013

This is so weird...I really thought I replied to this thread last night...maybe I didn't submit? :confused: Oy, I guess this prepping for the start of school really is making me tired! lol.

Anyway, thank you for the ideas, everyone! :) I don't think I can do the paint (it's school-owned furniture), although I'm glad to know such a thing exists!!

I had thought of the small magnetic whiteboards (I've seen the pretty, colorful ones at Wal Mart), but hadn't figured out what to hang them with. Command strips, of course! :) Thanks.

Good point about the whiteboard stickers! The surface is pretty smooth, but not perfectly smooth.

14. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 2, 2013

You can also buy cookie sheets at places like the dollar tree and hang them with command strips. I have these on the back of some of my bookshelves and found some cookie sheet inserts for word work on teachers pay teachers.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2013

I used to hang pocket charts, but hadn't tried magnetic things.