Making mp3s for students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by paperheart, Jun 28, 2011.

1. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

I have to create a technology project for a graduate class. I am thinking about creating downloadable mp3s that my remedial 7th grade math students could listen to on their mp3/iPods.

I was going to go for multiplcation facts and 7th grade math tips that they struggle with (formulas, diameter vs. radius) etc.

To make the mp3s would be very easy. To make them appealing is my major roadblock. I don't think the kids would want to listen to my voice and my alternative ideas seem cheesy.

What suggestions (partiuclarly web 2.0 tools you may know of) do you have?

Do I put music in the background?
    Do I make it sing-songy/rap/straight information with no frills?
    What technology applications could alter my voice effectively?

OR maybe someone has a suggestion for a project I could do pertaining to 7th grade math or library science. It needs to use web 2.0 tools (i.e. wikis, blogs, prezi etc)

Thanks!

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

I'm thinking this through a bit more...there are plenty of mp3s already created that are way better than what I could produce. Perhaps, I can take these and sync them with a video that has the lyrics and appropriate images. The students can still download them for their ipods as long as the sharing priveledges check out okay, but the videos can be played during passing time before the class begins. Our class time has been cut in half for next year so I am looking for effective ways to make information stick!

Please share any ideas you may have.

4. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I think syncing the song with a video is a good idea. Google "Typography by Ronnie Bruce". He took a Taylor Mali poem and presented it in an interesting way. If you have the know-how to do something similar, I think the students would enjoy it.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

Yes. I love that video. I wish I could buy the Adobe After Effects software (the type of software used to make kinetic typography videos) Its a little pricy, but that's approaching the idea I'm thinking. :)

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2011

You can use PowerPoint to do video podcasts. Just set voice narration to your slide and export to a video format. You can use any of the interactive tools, including embedding video or music.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion!

8. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 28, 2011

I downloaded and converted some YouTube videos for my students for multiplication. If you need help downloading YouTube PM me.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 28, 2011

You could make a site in flash (although the flash might be a bit cumbersome) that has different areas of math, lets say they click on Multiplication. Then a page with notes and problems pops up, and you preface it by giving a short lecture on the section they selected and then tell them to try some of the problems (Perhaps have a script to check the answers?)

10. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

Thanks for the offer. I would definitely have to download them since youtube is blocked. I think I know how, but I will be sure to keep you in mind if its not working for me when I try!

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

This is a great idea. Thanks. It gives me something to think about.

12. Matt8

Matt8 New Member

Jun 29, 2011

If you need help with something tech-related feel free to let me know as well... I have just about every program under the sun on my computer :p

Wouldn't mind helping out with a project too if you already have the details figured out.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2011

Are you supposed to create technology for your students to use - or are you supposed to create a project-based learning experience where your students use technology to solve a problem or answer a question?

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

It can be any of the above, Special-t. I went ahead and decided to create a book-oriented website. I'll share it when I'm finished. Thank you for your suggestions!

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty tech-savvy as well. I think that's why I had trouble thinking up an idea since I have tried so many technologies already. I appreciate the offer!