Making Morning Meeting Accessible for All Students

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Aug 5, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

Hey All,

I kinda junked up my other Morning Meeting discussion, but I got excited about Edmark Reading Programs and I can't help it!!!

Anyway, I have been discussing how I give opportunities for all of my kids to participate in Morning Message.... and thought I'd give you a visual so you could see how it's done.

I have pages to a "Morning Focus Book" that help us stay on track. Each page is devoted to a different part of our morning focus routine. I have color coded the pages to match a 6 button communication device (you can get this device for super cheap, only $59 from attainment company) - it is called the Attainment Talker 6. It is AWESOME. The recording is so crystal clear, it's incredibly easy to use, and it's only $59. The batteries last forever and ever, too!!

[​IMG]

Basically, I match the pictures in the morning focus book to the strip that goes in the device. This way, as I am going around the circle saying "and what day is today?" "What month is it?" "What year is it?" "Who is our president?" "What city do we live in?" "Who is the governor of New Jersey?" etc. based on what page we're on, no matter WHAT the child's verbal abilities, receptive language skills, or conversation skills, they can match the picture on the page to the picture on the device, press the button, and "answer" the question. I taught the kids to tap the picture in the book, then tap the picture on the device. I started out "matching" the device right above the picture, but have since moved the kids to finding the picture on their own, without it being directly above the book. Hope that makes sense.

You should see my kiddos participate in morning focus... people are always SOOOOO impressed to see these non-verbal kids "answering questions." They are being exposed to the content, able to be a part of the group, and PROUD that they can "answer" the teacher when they are asked a question.

This could be done with single switch devices, too (GoTalk One, Mini Me Recording Devices, the Mayer Johnson Talking pockets, etc.) You could mount the single devices on a strip of cardboard with the corresponding pictures underneath (only reason I say this is because this is what we did before we had the Attainment Talker 6!)

Hope someone loves this idea and brings it to their classroom... because the independence that it gives even the lowest kiddos.... is awesome!

And yes... that's Chris Christie on the end. Booo!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 5, 2010

I love that. Start my circle time with "The More We Get Together" and have each person in the circle (adults too!) give me their card with their name (and sometimes picture) on it and say their name. I had a BigMac for one of my nonverbal guys, but it was so old and tired that even with fresh batteries, you could barely hear it. It wasn't nearly as effective as I wanted it to be.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

Clarnet73,

Check out these simple and cheap single switch devices that would do the trick for your non-verbal kiddo!

Voice Sticker (You could stick the sticker on his picture!)

Clip Talker

Go Talk Card (same thing, you could put his picture and then record his name!)

Go Talk One (I have these all over my classroom in appropriate areas - "Goodbye" on the door to go out, "I need help" by the cabinets that are up high, "I'm finished" at the vocational workstation,etc." Some of my lower kids do REALLY well with contextual communication (wouldn't know to hit the "im finished" button in a field of many buttons, but know to hit the single I'm finished button in the work area)

Keychain Talker Have used these for toilet training

Talking Pocket

Hopefully these cheaper, more affordable options might work!

(It is CRAZY how much Big Mack Switches are). I am lucky that we have 4-5 of them in my classroom, but to think of how many little baby single switches I could have for the amount we paid for those 4-5 big macks....!!!

With our grant money this year, I bought 60 of the Mini Me Recording Devices (they look like the talking pocket but they are round --- they are meant to go inside plush animals...)

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

LOL I love Voice Express. I got our Mini-Me recorders from there.

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

Bumping up for Tims, who asked about morning meeting time.