Making it Through Intact

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by skyline, Sep 22, 2019.

1. skyline

skyline Companion

Sep 22, 2019

Hello everyone,

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 22, 2019

I'll be praying.
    Although I agree with your present concern about your supervisor, I might recommend avoiding creating judgments beyond what you are observing in her behavior. Your mentor teacher's evaluation will weigh heavily on your supervisor's decision. The ADA laws will protect your potential employment despite chronic illness, as long as your illness doesn't interfere with your responsibilities. Concerning your supervisor's discussion of your illness publicly, I agree that was rude. I currently have differences in abilities from cancer, and I've followed Cure magazine's recommendation to be open about my situation rather than trying to hide my situation.

Back to your supervisor, I recently viewed a TED Talk on judging people, given by a magician. He basically taught that we're not psychic, so we really don't know what's going on inside people's heads.

The talk is also very entertaining. By the way, although it seems he's doing the impossible, as he mentions several times in the video, it's all just a trick. He's not really mind reading. I know a little bit about how this is done since I have a relative who's a professional magician and I've also studied illusions myself (just for fun, but I'm not a magician), but I was still mystified.

Anyway, the site is https://go.ted.com/CPoW

vickilyn likes this.
  4. skyline

skyline Companion

Sep 22, 2019

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 22, 2019

Prayers for good health.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 23, 2019

You are absolutely correct in saying that no other person can judge what you are going through because we don't know you, nor have we witnessed your behaviors, or your supervisor's behaviors, for ourselves. Additionally, we only have one version of the events presented, so "we can't be absolutely certain how many other sides there may be to what we have and have not been told". Let me be perfectly clear in stating that a person's version of what has transpired doesn't need to be falsified to be different from what another person involved in the events may share as factual. POV is unique for every participant involved, so "there could be discrepancies without any intentional lies being told."

I believe that Obadiah was trying to say something similar to this in his post. You have shared your version of events multiple times, but he gave you an example of POV when he commented that he currently has differences in abilities from cancer, so he "follows
    Cure magazine's recommendation to be open about his situation rather than trying to hide his situation." Your POV made the assumption that he is not in the job market, like you, which makes his comment about the supervisor's discussion "more than rude."

The reality is that none of us has ESP, and at this point, none of us has witnessed either your behavior or the behavior of your supervisor. Obadiah has tried to give you some solace when he says "your mentor teacher's evaluation will weigh heavily on your supervisor's decision." Certainly many readers can understand your POV and concern, since you are looking for a job. I did find Obadiah's comment about how the ADA laws will protect your potential employment despite chronic illness, as long as your illness doesn't interfere with your responsibilities to be very educational and relevant since he has dealt with differences in abilities due to his own disease.

I think that many members here have tried to be supportive even though we only have one side of the story and one POV. Advice, which you may or may not want, has been to concentrate on achieving your certification, and then dealing with your perceived injustices by the ST. That does NOT mean that anyone here has thought that your version and POV isn't valid, but combined experience of these members votes for dealing with completing certification first, and then deciding how you want to deal with "harmful behaviors." Hopefully you will judge members here with some kindness and realization that we are only trying to help through our lens of experience. Understanding that you may not actually know the POV that many members are using, perhaps judging them a little less harshly would be advantageous. Just a thought and, as always just our opinions.

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 23, 2019

I can see where my comments could have been misunderstood. I was writing general advice, not knowing if it applied specifically to you, yourself. I apologize for sounding accusatory.