Making housekeeping appealing to boys

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bethany1120, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Oct 7, 2008

This year I have 8 boys and 4 girls. I have a housekeeping area in my room that is typically pretty popular during freeplay, but this year hasen't seen much action. Does anyone have ideas of how I could make it more appealing to the boys in my class? They all go straight for the blocks and legos during freeplay and I would like them to start branching out more. Thanks!

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Boys do like gadgets, so maybe a blender or microwave that rotates, lights up, or beeps.
    You could switch from a kitchen theme to a veterinarian office or a post office.
    Maybe add a toolbox so they can pretend to fix things. All these are fun for the girls, too! :)

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 7, 2008

Put a play grill and/or a tool bench next to it. They can use the kitchen area to get food to grill, or use the tools to "fix" the kitchen.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 7, 2008

Oh, and if you do the grill thing you can tell them how important it is to clean up when they're done cooking....you'll be doing their future wives a HUGE favor.

6. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

The tool box gets the boys every time. Also, my boys always choose the housekeeping center when I put a cash register there and set up a pretend store or business of some kind. Another thing boys like is dress up clothes for cowboys, fix-it man, farmer, etc.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2008

That's funny because my boys go straight for housekeeping no matter what's in it! In fact, I have a hard time getting anyone to play anywhere BUT housekeeping! Drives me nuts. All that's in it are dolls and dress up clothes right now and I change it about every two weeks. I swear I could put NOTHING in there and they would all want to gather in that area and pretend stuff.

8. MissB

MissB Companion

Oct 8, 2008

Hehe! Kids are so cute!

9. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

We have a vacuum in our housekeeping area and my boys love it. I also find that if they are not playing with the vacuum they find other things to enjoy. I don't always approve of it, cooking the babies in the microwave, but they are using their imagination. I also have so "boys" dress-up clothes, suit jackets, firefighter/police officer jackets, etc and some days I have to remind my boy to take them off for circle time. You never know what they will do.