Making decision by tomorrow morning...

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Maithal, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Hi Everyone,
    If you've been following my post I'm in a dilemma (still). I have to decide whether to sign contract by tomorrow. I got an offer to work in a public school prek spec ed co-teaching and sharing room. It's not my ideal grade level or situation(I want k or 1st and own room), but last year I had a rough year so part of me says just take this. I don't agree w/this jobs philosophy, but if I take it I'll just have to deal. This fall will be my 3rd year teaching. I don't want to keep hopping from 1 district to another trying to find where I'm meant to be as districts I apply to might question my "committment" to staying in a district(why I haven't stayed in a district for more than a year).

My 1st year (2 years ago) I was as prek spec ed teacher but it was 1 year contract only. Viable reasons. Last year, a 2nd grade teacher in a diff. district. In Jan. 2006 we had a family crisis. An immediate family member was in hospital for a month. It was very hard to handle both crisis & teaching(I was in an urban setting). I didn't receive administrative/principal support either so at end of March 2006 I resigned from my position (w/the help of my states education association).

Sorry my messages are always long. My question is if this job isn't all that I expected and I want to move on, is it bad to keep hopping from one job to another (next year being my 4th year). That's my biggest dilemma on whether to take this or if not look for something more suited to my liking so I can be there in the long run. Only, as many of you know time is running out w/school starting soon. Anyone been in a similar situation or have advice?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

Maithal-

Congrats on the job. Although we'v e had differing opinions, after reading your post, I would like to offer some advice. Normally, I would say to take the position, however, in your case(being concerned about hopping) from one district to another, my decision would be to decline. The reason I am saying this is because from what you've said, it seems as though you would only want to stay there for the year. Is that correct? In that case, you would be back where you started from.

If you could sub or continue to send out resumes in hopes of obtaining something more to your liking, my advice is to do that.

Good Luck with your decison.

4. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

depending on finaces You might need to take the joba dn who knows yuo might end up enjoying it

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 7, 2006

Maithal: I agree with MissFrizzle. If this is a job that you will only have for a year that will put you back in the same position. Also, you mentioned not agreeing with their teaching philosophy. Personally, I could never teach at a school where their philosophy wasn't in-line with mine, even if it was just for one year. One year of teaching is a lot, because teachers do put an immense amount of time, love, and planning into their jobs. That would be something to think about. It sounds like you are getting a lot of interviews, which is really great. Walk into schools that you want to be interviewed at and have a resume packet ready to go. Do you have business cards? That also helps and adds another touch of professionalism.
    Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 7, 2006

I don't think you want to do four schools in four years. I am not in an "ideal" situation by any means. I am not sure many urban school settings have ideal situations. Still I have stuck it out for two years through somewhat tramatic/crazy events and I know that I will have the stability of three years at a school if I decided to change after this year. I also can demonstrate that I worked through many changes to a school/program and managed to get my job done to the best of my ability. I know that our principal questions people who jump from school to school at the job fair and usually doesn't even offer them an interview. Just a thought. Principals want to invest the time/energy on you if it looks like you're going to be a "keeper."

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2006

Hang in there... I'm thinking of you!

8. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Thanks Ammie! I appreciate it. In a few more hours I'll have made my decision. I'll let you know what it is!

9. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

I wouldn't want a job where I didn't agree with their philosophy and had to just deal with things. That would make for a cumbersome year.
    I hope you make whichever decision is right for you.
    Best wishes.

10. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

What a tough situation to be in! I will be thinking of you, and just know, you need to do what's best for you!

11. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

I went to the school and the curriculum is so structured that I won't be able to add to it(in terms of reading other stories, etc) so I'm not sure what to do. I came home w/out signing the contract, but who knows to say I won't sign it later today.