Making Covers for Composition Notebooks - Anyone do this?(Links work now, sorry!)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

I've been inspired from things I've read to think about having my students create decorative covers for their Interactive Notebooks, so I've been looking for "how tos" because I am a very visual person.

We're studying US History, so I'm thinking the students can use:
    red, white, and blue construction paper
    foil stars
    patriotic stickers

Any other suggestions?

I want to cover them with either packing tape or clear contact paper, but I would love to see some pictures of this process and haven't found any online.

Some interesting sites on covering composition notebooks:
    http://gomakesomething.com/ht/gluebooks/cover-comp-books/
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2184381_composition-notebooks-using-scrapbook-supplies.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4495521_make-interactive-notebook.html

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

None of your links work.

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I couldn't get any of your links to work. My thought would be to use contact paper. If you use packing tape, you'll get lines across the cover.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

None of your links work...sorry...we use contact paper to cover ours once the kids have personalized their notebook.

6. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I have my students bring in pictures from magazines and photographs they can cut up to decorate their writer's notebook with.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2009

Every single link didn't work (though the first site looks like it may be neat in other parts), but I guess I'll search for some sites.

Be right back. :)

Okay, let's see...

http://blog.craftygoat.com/2006/11/how_to_make_a_composition_book.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2184381_composition-notebooks-using-scrapbook-supplies.html
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Decorating-a-Composition-Notebook
    http://gomakesomething.com/ht/gluebooks/cover-comp-books/
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/Writer's Notebook.htm

My students do the writer's notebooks (like the bottom link), though I LOVED the one link that had the cover with the buttons. I may have them make covers without pictures, Mod Podge the covers, and then have them put their pictures over that. If they do just pictures and not decoration, then I will have them put clear tape over the cover.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

We use notebooks instead of composition books here, but I think that I am going to have the students decorate their covers. I'll have to do things a little differently because the notebooks don't have the same hard cover as composition books do, but I am inspired.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

I *love* this. Now inspired to drive to Michaels & create my own for the example!

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

These are so neat! They would make great gifts for the teachers on my grade level team. Might be a nice project for my Thanksgiving break.

Thanks for the ideas.

11. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

I have the students decorate it to show two things:
    1. who they are/personality/likes
    2. represent the class they are in (I teach two types of SS classes)

Besides their name and class period that's all I ask of them. I get some inventive and creative covers-it gives them ownership of their notebooks and a bit more responsibility to it.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2009

For the science notebooks, I'm going to let my students take them home and spend 2 days covering the notebook with things that they like about science. I'll have basic rules: it can not be violent, harmful to humans or animals, or illegal. I think I might just let them decorate the back of the notebooks so we can still see the front with their names and the color of the actual notebook (their notebooks are color coded per subject). Then I'd like to use it as a getting to know each other time where I pair 2 people up and they have to interview each other and then introduce the person to the class. I'll be doing the same thing with them too--- so a student will have to introduce me based on what she or he learned about me through my science notebook.

13. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

Yall said you used contact paper once students have finished decorating it. Where do you buy it, is it clear, and is it expensive?

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

Sorry about the links, they work now! Does anyone have any pictures of contact papered or packing taped notebook covers? I'd really love to see one - it would help me decide before I make some of my own.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Have you all thought about covering with Modge Podge instead? They do that on the clipboards.

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2009

We made the coolest journal covers in an art seminar I took and used something similar to Modge Podge.

We took construction paper (I used black) and then colored in designs on the paper with metallic paint.

After the paint dried, we ripped the paper into 2" pieces and then glued those pieces onto the journal covers in a random pattern, overlapping the pieces.

After the glue dried, we painted over the pieces with the decoupage stuff and then let that dry.

All our results were very different and very striking. Mine looked like a tortoise-shell print.

You could change up however you decorate the cover, but still use the decoupage stuff. It worked very well.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2009

18. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jul 26, 2009

we did this in school and sometimes for HW assignment at the first week of school. I always enjoyed it and had fun...we just used tape.

19. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

[​IMG]

I decorated mine just last week. I'll try to post a picture... Just bought scrapbooking paper and covered it, then added some stickers and covered the spine and edges with clear tape (I have bought contact paper, but didn't have it till after I finished mine).. I am planning on using a day in class to allow students to decorate their notebooks too.

20. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 26, 2009

modge podge (or watered down elmers-just about the same thing) will work. I've made them plenty of times scrapbooking-same thing for clipboards and paintcans. :)

21. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I once had my middle schoolers cover composition books with batting and fabric for mother's day presents. I used spray adhesive to attach the batting and it was sticky enough to hold the fabric in place. We secured the edges with tacky glue and covered the binding with ribbon. We also udes ribbon to create a "belt" around the center of the journal.