Making a list of food prep activities for the year

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by tracykaliski, Aug 7, 2010.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

I've been working on my food prep activities for this year and have come up with what I think is a fairly decent list. Please feel free to add to it if you have any other food preps that you like to do with your children that I haven't listed.

banana slicing
    clementine peeling
    orange juicing
    cereal making
    making toast
    apple slicing
    "painted" toast (milk and food coloring)
    instant oatmeal with hot water in an air pot
    apples and peanut butter
    apple "wraps" with apples, peanut butter in a tortilla
    pistachios
    peanut shelling
    nut cracking
    making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    warm vanilla milk in an air pot
    nutmeg grating
    pickle slicing
    making hot tea with air pot/tea bags
    carrot peeling and slicing
    cinnamon grinding
    cheese slicing
    cucumber sandwiches
    flower crackers (peanut butter, almond slices, raisins)
    cats eyes crackers (banana, peanut butter, raisin)
    snack kabobs on a toothpick (meat, cheese, fruit)

I know there's more out there. What else do you do/make with your children? I'm limited in what I can do since we're not allowed to have heating elements in our classroom. I got a special dispensation for the toaster.

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

That looks really nice. The school that I am teaching at is DCFS certified so no food prep works for us. But, I get to do Halloween, Christmas, and Easter! ;)

4. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

What about bagels and creame cheese?

Or if you'd like more of a lunchy snack...Pepperoni pizzas. If you pick up the vegan/vegetarian pepperoni slices they don't have to be cooked.

On a side note...do you know where I can find recipes for individual servings? I've checked hundreds of kids recipe books (yes, exaggerating) but...I'd just like to find a recipe kit that says something like...2 tblsp flour, 1 tsp water, 5 chocolate chips, 1/5 bannana... mix...bake in toaster oven at 350 for 3 minutes...hummm that actually sounds like it might make a chocolate chip cookie! :) But, does anyone know where I could find that?

Honey

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

Patty, are you not allowed to do food prep at all?

Honey,

I would experiment with it. That's what I do. Experiment and try it a few times and see what you can come up with.

We do bagels and cream cheese for our morning snack quite a lot, so that's why I haven't included it in my list.

I would love to do pizzas. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to have "heating elements" in our classrooms so I'm limited as to what we can do. I got a special dispensation for the toaster I'm going to be using at the beginning of the year. Apparently, one teacher once used a hotpot to make hot water (bad decision) and a child got badly burned.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

I forgot to add one that they loved last year. We did tortillas with cream cheese and salami wraps and they LOVED them. I'll definitely be doing them again this year.

7. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

If you did an english muffin, the vegan 'pepperoni' slice (Krogers has then in their harvest/organic section by the fridge kept tofu.), sauce, you would just sprinkle the cheese on it instead of melting it...so you could give them an olive to cut...almonds (it's what we use when we eat out at a pizza place as a protein source and it's awesome. We've converted many of our carnivore friends to adding them to their pizzas.) So, you wouldn't need to do anything with heat. Since you've the toaster you could toast the muffin so it's more crust like...

Honey

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

Ooo0oo, what a great idea. Most of our kids love almonds and olives too. That sounds fantastic.

I keep pushing my director to let me have a little toaster oven in the room with an adult supervising at all times just to make sure. I think every time I bring it up I wear him down just a little bit more. ;)

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

skewer with Fruit balls (melon ball scooper)
    cereal necklace- (string)
    bagel pizza (bagel, sauce, cheese)
    smore (graham cracker, nutella, fluff)
    celery and peanutbutter
    petitfore (pound cake, icing)
    trail mix (nut assortment, choco chips, raisans)
    pretzel sticks and soft cheese

10. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

No Tracy. I guess that is a big no-no. It sucks.

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

Oh, pooh. Is there any way to make their snacks that the school provides a bit more montessori-ish? That really does suck. I'm sorry. :(

12. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

What about a crock pot? A bunch of the little potpouri style ones from late 90's (my mother had one of these in a few rooms...so tacky but she enjoyed them. :) )...you'd have nothing HOT but you could arrive early enough to melt cheese, have hot oatmeal, bake a cake even if it's started first thing....

Honey

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

I did vegetable soup last year where we cut up the veggies one day and put them in the crockpot to cook overnight. Then, the kids had bowls of vegetable soup for snack the next day. They loved that. I totally forgot about the crock pot!!

For oatmeal, I use an airpot with warmer (not too hot) water and they put instant oatmeal in the bowl and use a measuring cup to measure the hot water and add it to the bowl. Then they add honey and raisins to it if they want. It's a HUGE hit and they love it.

We are a no sugar school as well, and whole grain. We also don't do red meat of any kind and limit the turkey/chicken that kids eat. We have fish at least once a week for lunch too, so cakes and things are out of the question unless we can make it with honey in it. I've made banana bread with the kids and substituted the sugar for honey and it came out really well. We'll have to do the mixing together and then I'll have to bake it in the oven myself later in the day.

Thanks!