Making a big change from 3rd to 7th?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kris8806, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I used to teach 3rd grade and am now job hunting again after taking a year off from teaching. There is a posting for 7th & 8th LA and SS. I'm not sure whether to even apply for it.:unsure:

School is about to start and I'm still unemployed which is a big reason to take what I can get but at the same time I've never taught older kids and I'm worried about the classroom management aspects. I struggled with classroom management at the elementary level and worry that in middle school they'll walk all over me! :(

On the pros side, those are my favorite subjects and I had previously contemplated teaching at the high school level. My degree is in Psychology so I would be able to teach Social Sciences without a problem.

What do I do???? My instinct is to just apply and let it go, if I get it then God wants me to work there and if I don't get it, then it's because He didn't think it was right for me.

But ARGH!!! :help:

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Go for it! I too am also contemplating the same jump you are and have the same fears but in this job market taking the chance may be worth it!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

Well, if you try and don't get it, at least you tried...If you don't try, you for sure won't get it. I like your attitude of "if it's meant to be...." If you do get it, I'm sure you'll figure things out.
    Classroom management is TOTALLY different between elementary and middle school. Just because you struggled with it at one level doesn't mean it'll be worse at another level. Kids at different ages need different things. Who knows, your personality and temprement might be better suited to the older ones...I know I could NOT deal with a room full of 3rd graders, but I have very few disipline problems with my middle schoolers.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

I, too, have been teaching in the lower elementary grades and am wanting to get into middle school. I would apply and just see what God has in store for you.

6. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Thank you both for your responses. I think I AM going to apply and see what happens..

mmswm - Maybe you're right! Maybe my personality is better suited for older grades. It would be nice to be with students that fully comprehend sarcasm. =)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

Go for it! When I had my interview for my first permanent job (which a previous principal had recommended me for), I spent a good part of time saying, "I don't teach grades 7 and 8", "I'm happy to do whatever you want me to, but I don't teach grades 7 and 8". I was hired--to teach grade 7 and 8 math--and after a few newvous weeks, I loved it!

8. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Definatly go for it. I did student teaching in 3 and 5 grade and got a job in middle school. The kids are great, but you always have those exceptions. I learned something new everyday.
    You'll be great!

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

I agree. Seventh grade is a fun group - they grow up so much during the course of the year! I taught ELA and SS for two years and enjoyed it a lot, especially the history - the Byzantine Empire, Medieval societies - fun stuff! Go for it! :)