Makeup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Joy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 21, 2013

I've been wearing the same color of eyeshadow, lipstick, and blush for several years and am getting really tired if it. I want to try something different. Right now I'm wearing mostly products from Kohls. The problem with trying anything new there is that the displays seems dirty and are fully exposed to the public. I don't want to try any free samples there. I'd like to go somewhere to try a complete new look of makeup. I'm allergic to Mary Kay so I can't do that and I'm not sure that I want to sit in the mall with people staring at me while being waited on by a pink haired sales clerk. It just isn't quite my style. We have a Merle Norman in my town but I've always heard they market to older women. Any suggestions on good makeup that you can try before buying?

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2013

Do you have an Ulta Beauty Supply nearby? They have consultants who will do a makeover or try products.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2013

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 21, 2013

Go by a Sephora and ask for them to help you.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

My daughter had her make-up done at Merle Norman for prom last year and we LOVED it. I debated getting it done because I had already spent so much money. However, I think that was the BEST money that was spent. I know they will do her make-up for prom and graduation.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 21, 2013

I've heard good things about Merle Norman too.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 21, 2013

I'd go to Ulta.

I use mostly Bare Minerals products with a few Mary Kay thrown in. I like to get a makeover every year or so just to see current trends in colors and styles.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2013

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 22, 2013

I usually only wear lipstick, occasionally eyeliner and eye shadow, but I wanted to a different look for my wedding, so I let them do a make over at the MAC counter. They did a really great job and now I do the same look (toned down of course for work) using cheaper products.

Sephora is also really good. I've never had a makeover there, but I once was having A LOT of break outs which had left a few acne scars on my face that I was embarassed of, so I wanted a foundation to cover them up.

The woman at the counter was wonderful and spent about 15 minutes helping me find the perfect one to match my complexion (and it was water proof, which is important because whenever I yawn, my eyes water and I also rub my face and eyes a lot more than I should)

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 22, 2013

I recently went to a national (Canadian) department store chain and had my make up done. I ended up buying some Clinique products, which I love and then supplemented the rest with drug store products.