Makeshift book case/shelf

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by msb0803, Jul 1, 2007.

1. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

I have been searching the internet for cheap coo cases and I have had no luck. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions? I thought the gutter ideas were great but unfortunately, I have cinderblock walls.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Nicole:angel

3. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

Have you tried:
    * a second hand store such as a furniture consignment shop or Goodwill or Amvets?
    *Sometimes you can find a great clearance price at a factory closeout store, Wal-mart or Target.
    *garage sale
    *on the side of the road when there's the "big stuff" trash pick-up?
    (my friend found a great one that a travel agengy was tossing out- it used to hold brochures)

4. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

Great Ideas! Every time I drive past a yard sale I take a quick peak. I looked at target online and saw some metal cube style storage racks, I was thinking of flipping them on their sides and placing book bins in them. I was also going to see if I could have some built.

5. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

another idea is to ask the parents in your classroom if anyone is willing to donate bookshelves or knows someone who is getting rid of bookshelves. sometimes you might find businesses or other types of offices that are discarding good furniture. i got one from the university and another from a library.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2007

Goodwill is a great bet. Also if you know any place in your area that is closing, they may be selling the shelves that housed their books. I got a few short ones from the CVS drugstore recently. :)

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

9. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Rain Gutters and Cinder blocks

My hubby used masonite screws and put up the rain gutters into the cinderblock walls of my classroom. They have held up strong for four years now! It can be done!:D

10. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Also, there are library center pocket charts!! I bought one for $24.00 at classroomdirect.com.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

12. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

These look great!

I checked these out and they are CRAZY CHEAP!!! I am glad to hear you were happy with them and I might purchase both for my classroom. Can I ask how much you paid in shipping? The company
    s web site just says that shipping costs are determined at the time the items ship, so I would like to know the total cost with shipping. Please let me know if you recall. :thanks:

13. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I agree, these are wonderful and the price is great! Thanks for the link!

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

I actually got the idea from this forum! A while back someone had posted the link in a similar thread and I was amazed at the price and went ahead and got them. I don't remember the amount for shipping .. I bought two... But I don't recall it being too ridiculous.

15. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

thanks

Thank you teachersk....I just wanted a ball-park idea whether or not there was some "catch" to this awesome deal (i.e. the shelves were only $13.95 but you have to pay $50 a piece to ship them or something!) I am sure if the shipping was astronomical you would have remembered. Thanks a bunch for posting the link. I already shared it with another first-year teacher friend of mine!

Have a wonderful week!
    MrsCase

16. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Have you received them yet? I am wondering how sturdy the canvas storage holders are. I was also thinking of getting the the tower but I am thinking of what I could use it for. There such a deal that I think I might buy them.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

My goodwill had those metal cube shelves for 3.99 today. I almost bought them, but went to get my dh to see if they would fit in the car and someone had already gotten them. Then saw them at target for 9.99

18. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

Craigslist.com

Check out www.craigslist.com for people selling (or sometimes giving away) bookshelves in your area.