Makes Me Nervous

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by obro, Jul 31, 2007.

1. obro

obro Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Doesn't it make you nervous when you come to this site and see there are 100 people viewing the Job Seeker category everytime? All the other forums have only 2 or 3. As a job seeker who turned down one offer because i thought I had another I get a little depressed when I see how many of us there are as July turns to August.

3. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

It makes me nervous. I also get very sad when I see so many posts about how people did finally land their job. I want to congradulate them definatley, but it makes me wonder what's wrong with myself.

4. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I have the same feeling. Nearly everyone I know has gotten a job. It is hard not to wonder....
    On the other hand, it is just as likely that we will get positions before school starts.
    Chins up mates, we are gonna get jobs!

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I've started to notice a slight change this week when I call any school about a position. They all seem a little more interested. I'm hoping that pressure of needing to fill the vacancies will start to work in our favor. The glass is half-full.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

Hey, I pop here all the time and I have a job!

And divide those 100 people by 50 states and the odds don't look nearly as bad. Consider the variety of grade levels, subjects and certifications, and the picture looks positively cheerful!

And all that matters is that YOU make YOURSELF known to every single principal who might conceivably have an opening. All those other people don't matter at all in YOUR job hunt!

Good luck!

7. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Jul 31, 2007

It worries me and I'm not even looking for a job since I'm barely starting the credential process.

Chin up guys, I'm rooting for each and everyone of you.

Good luck.

8. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

The simple fact that tomorrow is Aug 1st is what scares me. School doesn't start until Sept 4th here this year, but teachers start the week before. I can't believe there are less than 4 weeks left!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Are you only looking in IL, or are considering relocating? If you look at all the "got a job" posts/threads, there are very few (if any) who have landed jobs in IL, MI, OH, etc... But, many have found jobs in FL, NC, NV, etc... It isn't you, it is the market. I WANT to stay home with my family and friends, but unless I want to sub for life, I knew I had to do something. So, hopefully for short-term, I am relocating to NC. Then, when I apply for jobs back home, I can no longer get the "we went with someone who has some experience" line!

10. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

It's so unfair that so many good teachers haven't been hired yet. I understand how you all feel. It's true that some principals want someone with a few years experience but some are only hiring new graduates. :unsure:
    I wish you all the best in your job hunting!