Make up

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Dec 17, 2009.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

Is there any make up you wouldn't wear to work? I ask because I bought a new lipstick and it's red and my friend said I should wear it when I do my intership. :lol: Is she being silly or do you think that's true?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2009

As long as it flatters you, wear it. There is an art to wearing makeup well. Red lipstick is a nice accent- you have to find the right tone for your skin color. If you don't normally wear makeup, take it slow and go for a more natural look.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 17, 2009

I am trying hard to think of any makeup that I would feel comfortable wearing to work... can't think of any reason.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2009

Not even a little man-scara?

6. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

Guyliner? It might be me, all my friends think I'm nuts for saying so, but I love a guy in eye liner. *drools*

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 17, 2009

ick... not my thing... manscara OR guyliner...

8. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

I think it probably depends on your school. In my district teachers definately stick to the 'natural' make up look.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 17, 2009

Like czacza said, as long as it flatters and works with your skin tone, ect, then go for it. Applying make up so that you look good, and not like a tropical bird, however, is a learned art. I rarely wear make up, but when I do, it's basically "natural" tones...except for lipstick. I wear a dark raisin shade, then blot it so it's a stain instead of a coat. It's still pretty dark, but I get "wows!!!!!!" from everybody. The color works. What can I say :D.

10. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

Cool. I think I'll wait until a week or so. See what everyone else wears. I try to stick to the norms. I feel like a guest in the school.

11. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Dec 17, 2009

I wouldn't wear a hot red lipstick or any form of eye liner to school. They're just not manly enough for me.

12. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 18, 2009

I wear foundation, mascara, lip gloss and blush everyday of my life. I feel like a slob without it. It is all natural looking and usually pretty much worn off by 3 pm! I wouldn't worry about your makeup too much.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 18, 2009

I'll second that.

I wore a lot of glitter make-up in college. I try to stay away from that now.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

I wear makeup every day. At this point, I've figured out what looks good on me and that's the makeup I own.

MM, I think you and I have the same coloring-- lipstick with purple or plum overtones looks much better on me than anything too red.

And I am absolutely not a fan of "guyliner" or anything close; if you're not in a Broadway play, then I don't like makeup on guys.

15. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 19, 2009

I wear basic cover-up, a bit of a light shimmer eyeshadow, and mascara. Occasionally chapstick. My school has a variety of make-up wearing people, some are done to perfection while some are Au natural.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 19, 2009

I'm a big fan of make-up, and I wear full make-up every day. I wear different colors in different seasons, but that's about it.

My husband is a musician, so I'm used to "dolled up" guys. Even though he plays country music, he's still has to "dress up" sometimes. Hats, earrings (3), foundation, a little eyeliner, highlighted hair. He used to spend more time getting ready than I did, and he borrow my make-up and hair stuff.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 19, 2009

I wouldn't wear glitter makeup or hot pink or electirc blue eyeshadow, other than that, it is fine.

18. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Dec 20, 2009

I don't wear red lipstick to school. I did it once and the kids I was working with (3-5 yr olds) said it looked weird (not in a negative sense..more like "Why are her lips painted red? My mom doesn't paint her lips red..why do her lips look so strange?") things like that..stopped wearing it :). The kids seemed happier and easier to work with when I was "au natural" then all made up...and they were the ones I was trying to impress anyways :)

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 20, 2009

I've worn deep burgundy lipstick & red lipstick to work. Also eyeliner lining the top & bottom of my eyes at times w/ mascara. I've also work a smoky eye shadow look. Now that may sound like a lot, but it doens't look overdone.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2009

I wear foundation, eyeshadow (in browns mostly), sometimes I wear eyeliner, mascara, and chapstick.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2009

I admit I wear a lot of blush, but otherwise I wear natural-looking makeup...a light sweeping of mineral powder, my blush, mascara, Carmex, and sometimes subtle liner and sweep of shadow. I don't think wearing more or less would be inappropriate...heck, if someone wants wants to mimic that Mimi character with wild blue eyeshadow and rocks it as a teacher, I don't care. It may scare the students, but... :p

[​IMG]

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2009

:lol: JustMe!!

23. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Dec 20, 2009

I just do my eyes (little bit of eyeshadow, some mascara). That's it. I can't stand the feeling of foundation or powder, don't need blush, and all lip stuff wears off. I do occasionally use a tinted chap stick or almost natural color of lip gloss, but it would be hard to tell that I am wearing it.

Most of the teachers in the school are along the same lines -- mostly natural looking. Some do a little more than others.