Make Up Your Mind

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Nov 18, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 18, 2011

W

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 18, 2011

Sounds like you are caught between two different styles of teaching. What I would do is use the interest centers are learning centers. Use the small muscle toys as math, turn the water table into a science center, and the housekeeping in social studies. I have seen library centers used as a writing center. Be creative!!! You can make your classroom fun and educational. Ask for help from this site, we are full of ideas.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 19, 2011

Thanks Blue! I was at a workshop with a bunch of early childhood teachers yesterday, I was definitely picking their brains. I know I can make it work. It just really surprised me the difference in the materials and what they expect us to do.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 19, 2011

I think you are lucky. Most children that age learn by doing, and you have the materials to make it DAP.

Remember that doing pre-math, pre-writing, and pre-reading skills can enhance the learning process. My GS was reading in PS. Probably my fault as he spent a lot of time on "pre" skills.

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Nov 20, 2011

I agree. They expect so much in kindergarten. However, in my district we have half day kindergarten. There isn't time for recess and when my principal see my students at the play center she rolls her eyes. I would DIE if she took the kitchen away!

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 20, 2011

I completely agree with you that it's what's best for kids, but the expectations from admins are the opposite now-at least where I am. I just think it's ironic I'm always debating having to do things that I feel are inappropriate DAP-wise and then the furniture that's the standard order is DAP. There's a disconnect there somewhere.

8. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 20, 2011

I have been struggling with some of our K expectations. As we all know, everything is being pushed down to "better prepare students." However, the catch all is K! Then it becomes our job to fit in all the social, fine motor, gross motor skills, etc AND all the new more academic things! There is little help as to how best to fit all these skills in during one year. We are facing more and more behavior problems and I really wonder if many of these are coming from kids being pushed too far too soon. There are many things in K that are not developmentally appropriate, but we still have to do it because the state says so!

My big question is, when are we going to stand up to the government and say that our kids can't be pushed anymore in K? We have to work together to find a good balance! High expectations are great, but how much is too much?

Sorry...didn't answer your question, but had to get that out!

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 20, 2011

You know what mykroom-we have a lot of behavior issues this year (in K and Pre-K) and I never thought of that as a reason. The kids are just getting frustrated because they spend the day doing things that are just developmentally inappropriate. Hmmm.

I think even parents would back up a movement like that-a lot of my parents are very surprised at what the expectations have become. And some frustrated because their kids aren't able to keep up.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 20, 2011

This is a constant debate between ECEers and Public Schoolers. If you can solve the problem, you will be a miracle worker. I have been in education for over 40 years, and it was there when I started. Luckily, the influencial educators in my first school district were led by an ECEer, and our K's had lots of hands on learning. It is a process that will take years.

11. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Nov 22, 2011

I feel your pain with the inappropriateness of K! Kids are at such different levels--age and maturity-wise. Some kids have never been in a school environment, yet we are expected to have them up and running with the program after one week of school! Really??? Even after the frist nine weeks, some are still not able meet the expectations of those onlookers! All kids are expected to be at 80% passing also. Excuse me, but in our system 80 is still a B, so students cannot be average??? I could rant and rave about this all day, especially with the two days I've had. Interesting when you have students who are 11 months and 3 weeks apart--September
    29, 2006 and October 6, 2005. Until the higher-ups recognize and accpet what it takes to bring these kids up to par, what are we to do?

12. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Nov 22, 2011

i definetely feel the lack of dap has affected behavior in k

whenever i do more "traditional" lessons the behavior is great and i forget how great they can be

the kids listen so well when i just read a book aloud to them-unfortunately i don't always have time to that on a daily basis in 1/2 day kindergarten because of all the skill work that i need to fit in--- very sad