Make up work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by each1teach1, Jul 20, 2009.

1. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

I'm looking for a way to manage my make up work assignments that put the responsibility on the students. Last year, my students got away with murder on make up work, because I simply didn't have a system together (ie, extra copies, page number assignments, away to keep up with who's make up work is do when, etc.). I've figured out a systme that handles a few aspects of the system (a grade book that allows me to enter the assignments with the day it was assigned as well as mark the student absent under the assignment while leaving a space to record the grade when I get it. From there it's just a matter of counting days to know when I should have received make up work). But I'm looking for a way of distributing the make up work that leaves me out of it.

I was thinking of maybe having a binder of assignments. After assigning something, I would put 5-6 copies of the assignment in the notebook with the dates on it. When the students returned they could just go through the binder and pull a copy of the assignments with the dates they were absent written on them. Then nobody could blame the teacher when they get a zero for an assignment they didn't do while they were out.

What do you think? Do you have a system that you think would be better?

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 20, 2009

I had this problem too, and developed a new and easy to use policy. Late work is not accepted at all, and make up work is entirely the responsibility of the student, immediately upon returning to school. If they don't come get their work, or at least see me to schedule something, the work becomes a "0".

That said, that is for high school. This might not be a good idea for younger students.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

each1~that is my plan. I also plan on having learning buddies so when one partner is absent, the learning buddy reminds the absent student to check the binder when they return.

5. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

A teacher in my school taped folders (those yellow kinds that stuff goes in the top of) to the wall at the front of class and stuck copies for absent students in them. They seemed to work well for her. I'm thinking of doing that or using my stacking paper trays to put the folders with extra copies in, and just put my master in a page protector, so I always have at lest one extra copy. I also am tired of getting bugged for extra copies because "I lost it"..again...

6. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I use a "What Did I Miss?" binder system. Each Monday I put the week's agenda in the binder and at the end of each day I put several copies of any handouts. The agenda allows absent students to see what textbook pages were reviewed and what problems were worked in class. The students are responsible for checking the binder after being absent.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

This is exactly my procedure - the only thing I add to prevent students who were not absent from taking the copies is I stamp (from Vista) a big red "ABSENT" on all the copies.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

I like that idea! Last year I did a master copy of the interactive notebook, but I stopped when I realized people were starting to rip stuff out of my book to replace things they'd lost. If I put my copy in a page protector and put a piece of tape over it, it's protected, I always have a copy and they have a reminder not to take it. I like it!

9. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

OOOH! Even better! You know immediately upon lookin on it whether it was late or not and if the student should have even had that copy or not! LOVE IT!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

Just one more thing to get from Vistaprint. ;) Thanks!

11. PenguinPie

PenguinPie Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

Last year was my first year teaching, so I tried to figure out how to deal with missing work as I went along. At my school, we have a huge problem with missing work. I kept my online gradebook very up to date and printed missing work reports at least once a week and hung them up in the room. It was the student's responsibility to look at the list. I also keep a crate with hanging folders and labeled tabs by type of assignment. I just toss extra copies in the folder and the student has to go find it. For book assignments, the page numbers are on the missing work list.
    For students who were absent, a job in each class was completing a "While You Were Out" form and stapling any assignments.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

I don't take late work. Period. Students who are absent, at this level, simply miss whatever was done in class that day, and they get a zero.

If my students trouble themselves to check the syllabus, they see what was assigned and done. If they bring it to me before I leave the building, I'll usually take it for half credit.

Occasionally there is a genuine emergency. I'm strict but I'm not unreasonable. "Sleeping in" or "My live-in BF took my car" or "My family went to Cancun," however, are never acceptable excuses.

When I taught middle school, I put any tests or papers in the "Check Here If You Were Absent" folder. When the student came back, he/she had one day to check the folder and remove his/her papers, and all work had to be turned in the next day. If the student did not remove his/her paperwork from the folder on the correct day, he/she found it all gone the next day.

Strangely enough, after a few bouts of panic, every student learned VERY quickly to do what they were told to do if he/she wanted a grade for that quiz, etc.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

I have a binder with a copied form in it that I fill out every day. At the top is the date, then I list all the absent students. Then I list what we did that day. Then is a place for signatures at the bottom. If there were any handouts, I put them behind the paper. A student who is absent knows to take the binder, write down what we did, and take any handouts, and then sign the book. If they come to me later and say "I didn't know about that" we go back to the book. Either they didn't sign it, which is their fault, or I have their signature right under what they were supposed to do and therefore they DID know about it (also their fault.)

I just started this system this year, and it is the only one that ever worked for me.

14. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

when i taught middle school i had a simple system that worked for me. I took six manila folders and labeled each with a day of the week. I stapled them to a wall. Next to them on the wall I used a large blank calendar and post it notes. At the end of the day I wrote in what the assignments were for the day on a post it. Then a post it and put the post it on the correct day and placed any copies in the folders for the week. The sixth folder was for the previous weeks copies. I would give students ten school days to turn in any make up work. So I would count backwards on the calender and mark an X in red marker the days that could no longer be made up. It worked well for me and took me less than three minutes to manage. At the end of the month I simply moved the post its around as needed.

I tried the binder system and did not like it because I feel like I need to see things in order to keep tabs on them.

15. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I like this idea, too. You guys have some great ideas!

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

I cannot be as strict on this as I want to be, because I teach special ed. and I have a few students who really can't independently take care of makeup work without teacher help.

When I pass out papers, I write the absent student's name on the pages and put it in the "pass back" paper bin. If its a book assignment, I write it on a piece of paper and follow the same procedure.

17. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I like this idea. It definitely falls underneath the CYA category. I have a friend who does something similar to this for attendance and it saves her tons of headaches. I had a group of parents who, when their child didn't get the results they wanted, tried to convince the admins. that I was this disorganized nut. Well, this admins. had my back on the nut, but the disorganized was pretty on the ball, unfortunately. Not this year, though!

18. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Make-up work is the responsibility of the student!

I staple a slip of paper that outlines what was turned in and the agenda to any handouts for the day. Included on the slip is a due date for make-up work.

At the end of the day, I place the make-up work in the student's file. It is then their responsibility to get the work upon their return, complete it, and turn it in.

19. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Well, in comparison to other make-up work plans, mine seems pretty lazy LOL! In reality though, it works well for me and instills responsibility in my students.

I have a homework helper who checks in homework each morning after they complete their morning work. If students don't have their work turned in, they have to fill out a homework alert sheet which they fill out (assignment missing, reason, signature) and then I sign it. They must take it home and return it signed by a parent. Their name goes on a white board and they pull a responsibility card (cards I made that start at 100% and go down by 3% each card - these cards determine whether they can attend Fun Friday - less than an A or missing work by Friday means they go to the library to work instead). These cards are visible to all students and we talk often about how the class is doing in general with responsibility. We talk about trends (who's always missing work) and the class offers suggestions on how to get their work done. In sixth grade peers are so important, so it's really good that the advice comes from them instead of me. It's also amazing how missing assignments tend to pour in Thursday or early Friday so they can go to Fun Friday!

As far as getting the actual assignment, if they lost it, they can search in a basket that all extra papers get tossed in. I don't make any more copies beyond the ones that get thrown in the basket. I made them a copy the first time and it was their responsibility to hold onto it. They can copy the assignment from my master onto a sheet of paper.

To know what they need to make-up, if for some reason they don't already know, they can ask the homework helper who records all assignments in a class assignment notebook (this year it will be on our class blog).

Absent students are a different system - they get a folder with a While You Were Out sheet that a classmate fills out and fills with all papers from during their absence.

A big change for me this year is that I don't take away any points for late work. I realized that some kids grades were more about responsibility instead of their actual learning. Keeping track of responsibility separately (which still goes on the report card), is a truer representation of their knowledge. If the work isn't turned in by the end of the quarter, then it does become a zero, because by that point, I have no choice.

20. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

These plans are all great but, as someone else pointed out, would not work well for the younger set.

For my fourth-graders, I put copies of all the day's handouts on their desk. When they return to school, they have their work waiting for them. They must complete and return it within a reasonable time period. If the work is something new to them, they come see me during centers.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I'm so glad that I stumbled on this thread! :)

I've been struggling with absent/make-up work for three years. There are some great ideas here, and I plan to incorporate components of most of them.

One thing I really like is putting the week's agenda in a binder at the beginning of the week. This would force me to be more organized, which is another of my goals for this school year.

22. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Aug 18, 2009

This a great thread. Subbing to it.