major vent

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dcnuck, Aug 23, 2010.

1. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 23, 2010

Well I thought I had a job that I was going back to but the day before I thought I was going back I finally got in touch with my director and was informed that they "just found out" that my job was given to Teach for America:mad:They weren't even going to call and tell me and assumed I had gotten another job. Helloooo????? I told them I was coming back and I would have called if I got a job. What really ticks me off is I went to the company's website and lo and behold four days before I called they had posted on twitter----Look at our new teachers----The more I look up info the more I know they knew a long time ago. The job market for teachers is horrible where I live---all the state has done is make lot of budget cuts and class sizes are horrible I have been told from other teacher friends. Sorry so long it just makes me so mad the more I think about it. this makes two years in a row that I have had to look for a job.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

Did you sign a contract?

4. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 23, 2010

they don't do contracts

5. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 23, 2010

Wow that is really poor form on their behalf. I am so sorry for you :(
    I've been in a similar situation where I was working and asked to continue on only to have the principal tell me my replacement (I had yet to sign an extended contract) was coming to meet the class on what turned out to be my last day. It sucks and they shouldn't do things like this but sadly they do.
    Hope you are able to find something even better!

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 23, 2010

That was really bad from their part. I hope you find a new job soon.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

I'm sorry too :( I hope you find something really soon.

What exactly is Teach for America?

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 23, 2010

Teach for America is an education program where they take recent college graduates (not education majors), place them in a classroom, and pay for them to get their Masters. They go through a five week training before the first day, and have continued professional development as the years goes on. Most people get into TFA for the experience. I don't know the percentage, but almost all the ones I've worked with have left the field after two years. (Two years is what they have to committ to have their Masters paid for.) They are also usually placed in urban, high needs districts. 18 out of the 20 I have worked with have been great!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

My assumption is that they went with Teach For America because the position would be paid for by TFA, and not the school. But, they definitely should have had the respect to let you know immediately!

11. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 24, 2010

Thanks everyone. I think it was a money decision and I knew I really didn't want to go back but I need my job to pay the bills and I like to teach. Thanks again----hopefully something will happen or I will just sub.

12. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me thought I had a job and I didn't the P tried to dodge me. I went to her office and asked do I have a position or not? Thanked her for her time and wished the school a productive school year.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

I am so sorry.