Major stress/anxiety, solutions?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissMae, Jul 7, 2016.

1. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

Due to past drama and animosity between the staff at my school and admin, I had a very stressful year. I feel more calm now during summer, but I only have 19 days until I go back. My stress is returning. I'm starting to have nightmares about going back, my stomach issues are returning, I'm so emotional.

I have 2 more years left at this school before I can seek another job, due to a stipend I received during my graduate program. I have tried breathing exercises, fixing my diet, exercising more, reducing the hours I stay at school, reaching out to my team. I'm still stressed. I'm still panicked and having severe anxiety everytime I think about going back.

I just need support and advice. I don't know if I can do this for 2 more years. I don't even know if my P will give a good recommendation when it is time to leave, she seems to loathe anyone who wishes to move on and makes the process hell.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 7, 2016

Is there no other school you can switch to (maybe a school in the same district) that allow you to finish out your two years? Also, is the amount of money in the grant actually worth sticking around in a place that makes you feel that bad?

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 7, 2016

Also, I'm sorry. I've been at a place like that. It would have taken tens of thousands of dollars to get me to stay. :( In the end, I think life is short, and having panic attacks for two years may not be worth whatever the grant was worth.

I'm sure you tried it last year, but can you just hole up in your room and disconnect as much as possible from your coworkers? Even then, though, that wouldn't guarantee a good recommendation.

5. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

So, if I left before the 2 years are up I would have to pay back a portion of the stipend. The agreement was to stay within this district for a certain amount of time.

I could move to another school within the district, and I suppose that's where I'm heading to after this year is up.

Thanks for your support and thoughts.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2016

I think you have to ask yourself whether the amount of money in play is worth the effects this place is having on your health. Have you talked with your doctor about the symptoms you are experiencing? He/she may be able to offer advice and support.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

I am so sorry that you are in this situation. You do need help and support and more than we can give here, though many people here can sympathize and commiserate with you. You do need to seek professional help. Start with your primary doctor or insurance company for a referral to a psychologist. There is absolutely no stigma to doing that. You deserve for your feelings to be respected, treated, and taken seriously. Please let us know that you have gotten professional help.

8. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Teaching is one of those jobs where its not 100% necessary that you interact closely with other adults. If you dont like your coworkers, keep to yourself and try to do the best you can, or just stick to teachers who are supportive of you. Just keep in mind that theyre only paying you to do so much, and that you shouldnt be doing more than you have to, especially because you know youll be leaving soon and dont intend on staying on. Keep your head up! Your students are what matters, and of course the experience you gain. Learning to deal with these issues will make you a stronger teacher later.