Major obstacle in job search

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Pavane, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Pavane

Pavane Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Hey everyone,

I wasn't sure where to put this - hope it is appropriate.

I've just found out that I'm pregnant. :eek: It was totally unplanned, and to tell the honest truth, I am not yet that thrilled about it. My husband (been married for about 1.5 years) is pretty excited though.

I'm really, really worried about how this will affect my career - which was about to get started but now probably can't even get out of the blocks. I've been in teacher training for 5 years now (part-time, plodding away at it), and I'm just anxious to get out and be a teacher!

I'm due in March. Here (Australia), the school year starts Jan 29, and finishes for the Easter break on April 6. Obviously I cannot even accept a term-long contract. I'm guessing all I can do is try and get some subbing/relief work until I deliver, and then stay at home for the rest of the year and apply for jobs in 2008.

I am concerned that in 2008, no-one will want to hire me. I won't be a fresh grad, but I won't have the teaching experience that non-grad applicants have. What on earth can I do now/next year to improve my chances of one day finally landing a full-time position? Is there any other sort of work I can do to plump out the "experience" section of my resume? (Tutoring is all I can think of).

Also - before you ask - no, I'm not able to accept a full-time position and then take mat leave ... it won't work logistically and I want to spend at least six months at home with my child before I go back to work.

Sorry this is all so jumbled - it has really thrown me for a loop, because one second I was poised to apply for all sorts of jobs all over the country, and now things are looking really different. This is also fairly urgent because the cut-off date for public school applications is in two or three weeks.

Thank you for any thoughts you could share.

Pavane

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I am a bit confused on your explination of your school year. Starts in January and ends in April? Am I reading that correctly?

4. Pavane

Pavane Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I'm in Australia, Just Wondering.

We have four terms - Jan to Easter is T1, Easter to winter (June/July) is T2, Winter to Spring (Sept/Oct) is T3, and Spring to Summer (Dec) is T4. Exact dates vary state to state, but the academic year basically runs Jan - Dec, the same as the calendar year.

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

All things happen for a reason. I am sure you can at least pick up some subbing in the meantime. I know this has thrown a wringer into your plans, but try and see the positive in it as well. You are going to have a baby, that is a wonderful thing. I guess it matters from where we see things. I am single, and 39 years old. I know my time nears to an end to when I can have a baby and I have wept over this. I guess your post was a little hard for me to read, to be quite honest. Teaching jobs will always be there....but bringing a little life into this world is a true gift. Take joy in it.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

Huge hug to you both:

Pavane, being surprised is not always particularly pleasant, at least at the time.

nasimi, my dear, you're aching, and there's not much I can do to help, but I care.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 19, 2006

When we moved from Kansas City to Delaware I was pregnant and I thought the same thing you did. How can I work? Who will want to hire me? When we moved I was about 12 week along. I went on an interview and got the job. Accepted the job. Signed the contract. Told the principal. I always felt kinda guilty about it. But we needed to have me working to support our family. That year there were 5 of us pregnant!! No joke. I had Maggie in February and took 12 weeks and went back the last 2 weeks of school. Looking back, it was the right thing for my family. I went back after maternity leave and taught a full year before we were transfered here to Connecticut.

Don't worry. If you want a job there is one out there for you. AND you will still get hired even with a year off. Maybe you could take a class or something to show you were still "working" while you were staying home (trust me you'll be busy regardless!!)

Congrats on the news. Being pregnant was so much fun (for me at least). Enjoy all the wonderful moments!

8. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

It sounds as if you have made up your mind as to what you want to do, to me. Certainly sub and make connections. Those can be useful when you go to look for that full time position. Sorry to hear that this came unexpectedly and doesn't go with your plans. My son came the same way but if it were not for him my life would not be as meaningful now.

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

It sounds like a stressful situation but that everythign will work out, just different than you planned. Maybe you could get your foot in the door and introduce yourself to lots of principals when you are a recent grad, explain your situation and keep in touch with them?? I know a recognized face gets a warm welcome a lot of times around here.

10. Pavane

Pavane Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Nasimi, I'm sorry that my post upset you. I wrote it when I had only known for about a day, and I was still in a very weird place. I've had some more time to think, and I agree that you are right: I should embrace this. I've started to become a little more excited the more I think about it. Your post was helpful.

Thanks also to everyone else who responded. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that still, after working for 5 years to achieve my goal of getting my own classroom and getting to know and help my own students, it will be put back for at least another year. Still, I suppose that of all the reasons for it to be thrown off track, this is the best one! Even now, as I type it out, it seems far less of a big deal than it is in my head.

Mrsammieb Thanks for sharing your experience. How did the principal feel about hiring you and then soon after having to hire a sub to replace you? I have been thinking about applying for positions to start in January, but I am not sure any principal would really consider me if they knew they needed to look for another person to cover me from March until October.

Finally, I guess the heart of my concern is this: Whilst I am excited to be having a baby, I am concerned that I will interview in late 2007 and they will say "Sure, you've qualified, but the last time you were in a classroom was ages ago. Even people who have just graduated have the same level of experience and been in a classroom more recently than you." What else can do I (with a baby) during that year off to make it look like I am still invested in growing and developing as a teacher? I can't take any more classes (here they are subsidised by the fed govt until you reach a quota, which I will have reached). Tutoring? Subbing? Are there any other options I haven't thought of?

Thanks for persisting with this novel. Cheers to all.

Pavane :)

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 20, 2006

Thanks Pavane. Best of wishes to you.

N77

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 20, 2006

It is against they law for you to be discriminated against because of pregnancy. So my principal really couldn't say much. I am sure she was a little disappointed but, hey that is how it goes. I did make sure the following year, I worked my tail off to show her it was a wise decision. But I am just like that.

I don't think you'd ever be presented that type of questioning. And if you were, you could answer that now that you have a baby, you are more insightful than a first year teacher. Becoming a mother, in my opinion, made me a better teacher. I don't think it is a requirement to be a teacher however I could see where parents were going or what they were saying better since my girls. I understand the daily life of parenting.

Maybe you could look at it like that?

13. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Not sure if Australia is the same as the US on discrimination laws but here they are not allowed to not hire someone because they are or are not pregnant. Some people feel it is best to keep it to themselves since sometimes it can affect the decision anyway. How can you prove it? At any rate I have a friend that is in the same shoes as you but she found out shortly after being hired. The school didn't say anything negative to her about it that I am aware. If you decide to wait maybe read and research about teaching and come up with some great ways to show your interest in teaching even if you are not a fresh graduate or recently been teaching. Another family member of mine just got hired to teach and spent two years in a non-teaching field after college. I think that by having confidence in your decisions and yourself shows in an interview and often makes or breaks the difficult questions. Good Luck to you!

14. Rose Brooke

Rose Brooke Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Being a mother is like being a life long teacher 24 hours a day. You'll love it. I just had a baby in March. As for the building the resume - I have the same question. My suggestions are volunteer at a daycare or school, work at the library, volunteer in the community (I recently signed up to dish out food at a homeless shelter), join some kind of group, sub, or tutor. Anything to show you are a caring person. Good luck. I am looking for a job as well. Rejection letters are getting to be bringing down my spirits. It's not so easy. I worked and went to school for 6 years (full time for both), planned a rather large wedding, and had two babies in the time that I graduated in December. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. At least that is what I believe now - ask me again when school starts again in Sept. I might change my mind if I don't get a job. :)

15. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 21, 2006

It is difficult to balance the family, working, and trying to get a degree! I just did it too! I chose math (because I liked it, I'm weird I know) and it made my job search a lot easier but not everyone can or wants to do that! I think that by having that experience it also shows future employers that you can and are willing to do what it takes to balance between the family, work, and still maintain sight on your goals.

16. Pavane

Pavane Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

Rose Brooke, thanks for those suggestions. Our situations sound very similar (or at least, they will be). Best of luck with your job search.

Just Wondering, Australia has very similar anti-discrimination laws to the US. I'm sure I probably could land a job and then spring a mat leave on them within the first term ... I just don't think it would be the wisest thing. I'm actually going to be making some calls this week to explore this option a little further.

17. Pavane

Pavane Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

That is exactly what I have decided to do. I'll use the 2007 academic year to gain experiences that show I am invested in growing further as a teacher, even if they aren't all strictly classroom experiences. In 2008, hopefully I'll be able to demonstrate this in interviews and land a full time job.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2006

One does what one can with what one's got, hm?

It will all be all right.

19. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 22, 2006

Glad to hear your feeling better about it. Enjoy your pregnancy (I know I did!) and once you are all settled in with your new baby start finding ways to keep yourself busy and abreast on things that can help you gain an edge once you start applying. I don't know how they certify in Australia but maybe you can add an additional certificate if time allows to make yourself more marketable.