Major hair oops-I'm a strawberry!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

I like to put bright color in my hair. Lately it's been mostly very blond with subtle pink highlights. But the dye my hairdresser has been using has been very, very, very light. Washes-out-in-one-shower light. So I finally went out and bought a jar of Manic Panic. I thought surely this would be very bright and would STAY in my hair for long enough to justify the cost of the service.

Well, today was my appointment. I walked in a blond and walked out a strawberry. My guy did everything right-just a few foils for highlights (I thought it wouldn't be ENOUGH), but then when he rinsed it must have bled all over the other hair. Now I have almost all pink hair. Boo hoo. I'm thinking of using dish soap as shampoo tomorrow to try and tone it down. When you look close, you can def. see where the highlights were suppose to be, so I'm hoping the rogue dye washes off the hair easily and gives me back my blond.

Any other hair disasters lately? I'm glad this was the week before school!!

3. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Oh no!

I have red hair...and a few summers ago I thought I'd take it a little darker and go a darker auburn/brownish color. It turned out black. I looked like a ghost with black hair and pale skin for a good week before it finally started to tone down. Lots of hats were worn for sure.

At least it's the summer...and you have some time for it to tone down! :)

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

My mom (who used to be a hair dresser) tried to please me one time in high school when highlights had just started getting big. We got a kit to do just high lights....which turned my hair orange! My mom had to go back to wally world at 11 at night to get brown dye to be able to tone it down and fix it!

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

Seriously, Prell is a wonder shampoo for color mishaps. If you wash with it repeatedly (like 3 or 4 times in a row) with hot water (as hot as you can stand it) you will see the color come out.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

I'm curious, did you fake that you liked it, or were you honest with the stylist?

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

Picture, please!!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

Never mind, I saw you on FB and you wear it well!! Love it!

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Would also love to see a picture! I usually do all my own stuff and it turns out ok. However, my sophomore year in college, I think we tried to perm my hair and it didn't work. And then we lightened it. And then I decided to go back to brown. And my hair turned BLUE! Haha, I went to the stylist straight away to have a professional fix it. =) I stopped all the dyeing for awhile, but am back at it again!

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

Hot oil is also supposed to take the color out faster. Heat up oil (vegetable or olive oil or I guess you might be able to try the v05 hot oil they sell in the hair section) heat it up and drench your hair with it. Leave on for 30 minutes or so and wash several times. Something about the hot oil is supposed to make it easier for washing the color out. I tried this method, and while it worked well, I had oil running down my face and neck and it was very messy. Be CAREFUL with the hot oil.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

I tried to go back to my natural color one summer (from blonde to brunette)..well, it turned out orange!!! I went to the hairstylist pretty quickly after that!!

I think you wear it well Jem!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

I guess that you are now a 'strawberry blonde'!! :D

Yes, a picture for us who are not FBers!! :blush:

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Haha. Ok. I look very summer sloppy in this, but here's one from when I got home yesterday. I showered this morning and the shampoo was all pink, as was the water around my feet. I'm off to dry it, and I'm sure it will be a bit lighter. This does not show the cool highlight effect, which you actually CAN see in areas. It's bits of blond and pink intermingled. I don't hate it. So I didn't go off on my stylist, because he did exactly what we've done so many times in the past. I just told him when I get it done again for school, this cannot happen. But it's fine for summer-I still have a month and a half before kids!

[​IMG]

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Veryyyyyyy cute! It's like pink hair with blonde highlights. You wear it well, like I said :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

Wow. :blush: At least you have time before school starts to let it even out a bit. It really fits with your avatar, though! ;) What did your dh say?

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Ok, day 2 after my washing this morning-dh took this picture. My hair is quite long and goes down mid-back. He likes it and says if anyone can pull it off, it's me. I'm trying to get use to the stares...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

A bit wild for me. But my one daughter is always getting her hair dyed various colors. When my hair started going grey, I dyed it until it came out orange.

18. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

Jem, it really works for you. Pink is a good color for you.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

I love it! I wish something like that would fly around here! We can't have any unnatural color in our hair at all.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2010

You're Strawberry Shortcake, butimagine the smurf jokes you'd have to endure if the streaks had been blue.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

Seriously! I use to do blue in college... I'm going to let the kids pick the colors this year, but we've got to figure out how to get back to the subtle highlights first...

22. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

I have magenta peekaboo highlights right now. I like to go wild with the hair during the summer too. I think yours looks very cute!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

It would not fly in my school. It wouldn't even be considered. And I run into kids EVERYWHERE, from Disney World to the mall, so I wouldn't dream of doing it, even during summer. Yesteday at mass I ran into 2 June graduates (twins), a girl who was in my Geometry Honors class last year, and an incoming freshman.

"Hey, mom! There's Mrs. A-- remember??? We met her at orientation. Only now her hair is PINK! I hope I get her for math next year!" Umm, SO not my style :)

Then again, it's not my style in the first place. I tend to like hair to be a color that looks natural.

But I'm glad you're having fun with it.

24. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Jul 12, 2010

It really suits you.

25. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

I think it looks awesome. I work at a fashion college, and students have pink, purple and blue hair...but honestly, it doesn't look right on them. I think it looks super cute on you! now you really do look like the real Jem! hehe. :)

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Jem, I showed my 16 dd your pics and she wants you for a teacher :)

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Hahah. This would not fly at most schools. I'm a bit nervous to meet with my director on Friday, but what can you do. Hopefully it will tone down by then.

I can imagine the kids will like it though. I'll see students all summer as well, as I'll be working at the school and there is a summer program there. I think my reputation is pretty solid among the parents at this point, so I'm not too worried.

28. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Jul 12, 2010

One of our elementary teachers has dreds. I don't believe its an issue where I teach. Not very common but as long as the teacher is dressing professionally, etc - hair or a tatoo is not going to result in an issue. I can see how it would be an issue at a private school or a catholic school. It totally depends on where one teaches and I believe most of us understand our district enough to understand it its an issue.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

I remember in a recent thread you talking about your attention to detail in the image you present from head to toe...your 'brand'. Didn't you say there was a new director/administrator? Does he/she know you well? Pink hair does present a different image than how you probably looked on your interview, but if they know you well and they seem pleased with your work so far, you may not have to be so nervous about your meeting this week.

Have fun with it.

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

I love it! Would I do it myself? No, I'm not that brave!! And it wouldn't fly in my school...tattoos, yes, but no pink hair! It looks good on you though and I know that where you live, people are a little bit more open.

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Good thoughts, all. I don't mind the color for my image. In fact, when done how I originally intended to, it's perfect. My new director did not hire me (we have a weird hierarchy), so she's just starting to get to know me. Ah, well. I have to stop worrying-nothing I can do now except talk to the hairdresser before rinsing next time-rinse one section out at a time NOT over the blond... I appreciate the fun thoughts on here. It makes it better. I have it pulled back, so I don't think about it much-every once in a while I get a glimpse and it shocks me!

32. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

I think it looks very good on you and suits your personality. And maybe it will show people that might judge you on it, just how much your hair color doesn't matter when it comes to how serious you take teaching. I agree that you should have fun with it:)

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

You don't live in Pleasantville, you life in San Francisco! Nothing to worry about ! :)

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

cute, Jem! what does your hubby think? what kind of looks do you get?

I couldn't wear it myself though...too old for that. :haha:

35. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

My neighbors are wonderful goofballs in their 50's who are pretty eccentric themselves. We chatted yesterday when I got home, and then both went to our houses. We got home at the same today and the woman called me over again. She said they both went inside yesterday and commented to each other on how much they liked my hair, but then realized neither said anything and then realized they had no idea if they were SUPPOSE to say anything. I'm sure just about everyone who sees it thinks SOMETHING.... ;)

36. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2010

LOL. There you go. I would never do it, but you are more bold than I am!! In a good way. :blush:

37. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

Two weeks after I've had it done, and it's VERY faded. Still pink, but much much more blond as well. I do love it. I just didn't like it THAT pink. ;)

38. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I think it looks very pretty! :) :love: