Mailboxes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Doublescoop, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Jul 29, 2005

I'd like to simplify the handing out procedure at the end of the day by having handouts sorted by child in some way but the ready-made mailboxes are so EXPENSIVE! :eek: Any ideas for how the kids can simply gather their notes and papers at the end of the day in the least amount of time and with little fuss or confusion?

3. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I have seen many different ways of doing it. I know a teacher that uses those hanging shoe pocket racks (number each one they find their number), another teacher hooked milk cartons (she covered with contact paper) to make mailboxes, and another used file folders (numbered again) in a file box. Try differnt things and see what works best for you.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

I only send papers home on Fridays. Otherwise they stash necessary papers in the homework folder during the day at the end of lessons (I specifically say "put this page in your homework folder now" otherwise it won't happen). For Friday distribution, I used to use a crate with pendaflex folders for each kid. Now I have them in a file drawer. Each kid's pendaflex folder also has a separate file folder in it for permanent filing to be kept all year.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 29, 2005

There are some great varieties of hanging shoe bags.

6. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I agree that the ready-made mailboxes are expensive, but in my opinion they are well worth it in the long run! And, you can use them for years to come!

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 29, 2005

could you find some one that is handy with wood working to make some for you for cheaper than the store bought ones, It seams like some plywood, nails and a bit of paint could do the job, Make like a grid like shelf for mail. Or buy a short book shelf and add your own divider panals? Or jsut use a short book shelf and get $ store bins, attach with velcro, so they don't all off.

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 29, 2005

I use the shoe hangers. This is my third year with the same ones. It works great and the kids can grab their papers going out the door. If you wanted them to wait until Friday, you could have someone file them away Friday Morning.

9. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 29, 2005

Oh...But at Reallygoodstuff.com you can find mailboxes that are cardboard and they are around $50. I've thought about buying them, but then I can always come up with things that I could use more than that.

10. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I found my mailboxes for $25 at store here called Mardel Christian Store. They have tons of teacher stuff. I'm sure other teacher supply stores carry them as well.

11. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 29, 2005

I think that mailboxes are worth the investment. They can work year after year in any grade level. I also agree with sending papers home on Friday's. I think it makes things less confusing.

12. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I'll 2nd the investment part! I was also struggling a couple years ago about forking out the cash to buy them but I am so glad that I did because they are a time saver and I can file papers very quickly. The mailboxes are still going strong and well worth the investment! I even ended up buying a 2nd one to organize construction paper and the papers that I have run-off for the week.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2005

Do you have any cubbies in your classroom? I use those to sort out papers rather than put backpacks in. Also, mailboxes are probably worth the investment, or if you know someone who can build you something small, you can always go that route.

14. steph1daisy

steph1daisy New Member

Jul 29, 2005

I found 'mailboxes' at Sam's Warehouse. For 12 slots it is around $15. I bought 2 of them to accomodate a full classroom at a total of a little over $30. Oh, they are not cardboard either. They are a pressed wood with black laminate.

15. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

Mailboxes are well worth the money. I also do a Friday Folder and file everything during the week in the friday folders and the kids take home everything in their mailbox on Friday. It is so easy and the parents know to look for everything of Friday. It eliminates alot of papers getting lost in desks.

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

how about those stacking letter trays? You'd need several sets for your whole class, but it might be another option?

17. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

You can also look at discount places like Hobo's. I got brand new mailboxes that are usually $65-70 for $15. I was soo excited by the great bargain!!

18. luv2teach21

luv2teach21 New Member

Jul 29, 2005

I found the one's at Sam's Club too. I was VERY excited!:) Before that I used file folders and just put the kids names on them. This does fulfill the need, its cheap and doesn't take up much space. The only time it wasn't handy is when there were bigger items or if you have you kids help.

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 29, 2005

Some teachers use cereal boxes that she has the children bring in, with the side and corner cut off partway, and then they either paint them or cover them with paper and then decorate them. They stand on a low shelf in her classroom, with the names across the front, and at the end of the day the children can see easily who has papers in their mailboxes.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

Shoe boxes work also.

21. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jul 29, 2005

I bought a mailbox yesterday at Sav-On for $19.99. It was made of cardboard, but it is still very durable. A friend of mine has used hers for the past 3 years, and it is still in great shape.

22. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I also send papers home on Friday. They have a Friday Folder and a form inside for parents to sign to show they saw their work. (no surprised on conference days!) On the mailbox thing, I was lucky. I worked at Sears in the hardware department while I was still in college. A man that I worked with was older and working there for extra money and did really neat woodworking projects. I asked him if he could make a set of cubbies for me and asked him how much it would be. Within a week, the cubbies were finished and were beautiful! And, he took pity on me because it was for my classroom and didn't charge me a thing. If you can find someone that does woodworking, I would highly suggest that. These boxes will last me forever. I simply use my label maker to add their names and they easily peel off at the end of the year.

23. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2005

You could try WalMart shoe cubbies...they are "wood" and are really easy to put together...and durable!

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

Okay... I would love to buy the mailbox center. I have the money, but not the space.
    Cubbies are too far spread out to sort quickly an effieciently. I have them in my room.
    1st graders are old enough to do this, as long as you take the time to train them. I have a file folder crate that has hanging folders on it. I put the students assigned number on each folder, but you can put first names. You can take this anywhere with you to file their papers in. Or, a volunteer can take anywhere and do. It's so easy and not really that expensive. You may spend $8 on the crate and $5 on the folders. It lasts for years, and is portable. Hope you find what works for you.

25. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 30, 2005

You can also use a plastic crate with hanging file folders with each child's name. I use one to keep near my desk to sort after grading or to use for parent notes/testing supplies. I am currently using cardboard magazine holders that a local fishing store gave us.

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

The plastic crate is what I'm using. I think at Wal-Mart their called file folder crates. They're pretty handy.