Mailboxes-new question

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by giraffe326, Aug 16, 2007.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

How many of you use mailboxes? The other two 5th grade teachers at my new school do, but I am not sure if I want to spent the $$ to buy some. So, I was wanting to know "They are great because..." or "I don't use them and it's easy because..." Thanks!

3. snickers

snickers Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I taught Kindergarten the last 5 years and I absolutely loved them! I'm teaching 5th grade this year but we don't start until August 27th. I went out and bought most of the 5th grade Math ones (since that's what I'm teaching) but I'm not sure how much I'll use them. They do look great just by flipping through them!

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 17, 2007

I don't use them. I wouldn't mind having them, but I have a pretty small room and 33 kids so space is limited. I find it pretty easy to just pass things back a few times a week.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 17, 2007

When I taught fourth I used it for storing papers. I would always let the students see graded papers right away. Then they would store them in their mailbox until folders went home on Thursdays. It really made managing papers easy since I taught 7 subjects.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2007

I plan to use mailboxes. But instead of buying those large cubby ones, I plan to use files and a crate. I will put student name and number on the tab, and then my postal worker will "mail" their paper.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

I have for many years, but this year I think I'll give it a rest. All the graded papers for the week and the thousands of copies from the office regarding Book Fair and fundraisers and Running Club and Join PTA, etc. are going to be tossed into a large box that has the parent/teacher Home communication folders in them laying at the bottom of the box in no particular order. The box will be stored under a table. On Monday mornings, I'll send my four or five girls who like to organize things into the room early to put them in the folders, and then lay them on each student's desk. I will stay out in the hall and drink coffee and visit with my friends until the bell rings. Hey! At least I'm still grading them myself! And the nice thing is that the students can toss the communication folders back in the box on Tuesday morning and I can avoid opening it and finding nasty notes from parents. (I didn't say that, did I?)

8. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I don't use "mailboxes" but I do have a crate with hanging folders in them labeled with the kids names. I have a paper filer every week and it is his/her job to file papers, notes, etc. into the files. I send a weekly folder home (wed. folder) with all the graded papers, pto notes, notes from school etc.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2007

That's exactly what I'm doing.

10. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 17, 2007

the wed folder thing is great. parents expect and the school expects parents to go through these folders. i also send grade reports a few times a term, that way i dont have parents saying " i didn't know my child had a c". they are required to sign them and send them back.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

I actually think the crate thing works better. I've kept the mailbox bookshelf because it has shelves, but if I ever organized my box of jumbled papers, it would end up being like that.

I had to bring the whole mess home this weekend because the lack of organization is getting to me. I feel overwhelmed with things to do.

12. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I am not that very organized, and as a first year teacher I bought mailboxes (among other things) to help me be organized. I think my students will also like having their own mailbox. I am hoping it will make it easy to sort papers and such. One of my classroom jobs is a paper passer and collector. School hasn't started for me yet - we start the 27th, so we'll see how it goes!

13. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

peachieteachie-where in Maryland do you teach?

14. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

sstager - I teach in Cecil County, but I did my internship in Baltimore County. Where do you teach?

15. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Ah, I teach in Baltimore City...the dreaded city schools!

16. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I use mailboxes. I assign each student a number and have my mailboxes numbered so that I don't have to change it every year. I have the students and their numbers posted by the mailboxes so that students can put papers in the mailboxes.
    Having mailboxes makes my life so much easier. If something comes in that needs to be passed out, I can immediately place them in the boxes.
    I would definitely recommend them. For my team we got them at Office Depot.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2007

I will have to check Office Depot, thanks! The teacher store doesn't have them, and I was thinking about using shoe racks, but they are large and heavy! I do have a big room, but not a whole lot of tables or level surfaces to put them. Thanks!

18. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Last year I had to move to a tiny room and so I tried living without mailboxes. It only lasted the first month. I bought a 24 shoe rack from Target for about 40 bucks. It is white wood. I have also had cardboard magazine holders (5 for I think 3 dollars at IKEA). It makes it easy when your school sends home stuff all week long, you can just dump them in the mailboxes and solve the desk mess. I also like grading and sending home as I go.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2007

That's what I bought (still in the box, they were on sale though). I was just not sure if they were worth the $50. I had used them in 1st grade, but I wasn't sure if they were still necessary in 5th grade. I bought the shoe things (I have 23 students in a growing area, so I will end up with more, so I purchase 2 15 space units). I think I'm gonna look at Office Depot, if not, I guess I'll keep the shoe containers!!

20. I<3Kids

I<3Kids New Member

Aug 19, 2007

I use mailboxes too. I bought mine at Sams Club. They come in a set of 12, so I just bought 2 and set them right next to each other

21. sunfl3815

sunfl3815 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I bought the sams club ones too..a couple years ago. I numbered them and then assign the kids numbers at the beginning of the year.

22. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 19, 2007

I can't imagine NOT using mailboxes. I put all the graded papers in a tray on top and one of the kids sorts them when they need a break. I used to worry about them seeing everyone's grades, but they treat it like a competition: who can sort the fastest.

23. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I use mailboxes that I bought at Target (they were really shoe organizers I think. They have 15 spots so i had to buy 2, for about $25 each). We send home folders once a week and last year I had a parent come in to do them. I think it made it easier for her to do since she could stand in one spot to sort everything.

24. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

The ones I have come with 28 places. It is particle board on the outside with cardboard for the shelves. We ordered it through their catalog. It looks nice. It is a grey color.

25. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2007

I saw a photo on another thread where a teacher uses those hanging shoe organizer pockets made out of fabric for her "'mail bags". I think I'll do that since i have no room on any table tops for mailboxes plus I just don't want to spend the money right now. I have bought so much for this year and I have to stop spending. The only cardboard mailboxes I've seen are at a teacher store for $25 each and I would have to buy 2!! yikes!!! I know I can find those shoe hanger things at the Dollar Tree!! Hmmmm $2 vs $50?
    Does anyone else use these?

26. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I use the hanging shoe organizers to pass back papers. I had posted a picture on a different thread. I bought mine for $12 at Target. It is canvas, therefore stronger than the cheap plastic some are made out of. I hang it over the outside of my bathroom door, a non used space otherwise! I use binder clips and place a laminated tag on each pocket with a student number and name. I use vis a vis markers to write the name on the tag, that way when a student moves, a frequent occurence at my school, I can still use the tag. They work great. I send home work in a take home folder on mondays with a "How did i do last week" sheet. I teach 5th grade. My kids last year loved having a "Mail Bag". I never pass back papers as one of my jobs is paper passer. If you want to see a picture it is posted somewhere in this group of pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0Abtm7du0bsWLqY&notag=1

Hope this helps!

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2007

Thank you for posting your link. I hadn't seen yours but I like them. I am on my way over to Target to look at the shoe bags. :)

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

I totally agree. My students LOVE the responsiblity of being the graded mail person. I give my students a number each year, and on every paper they are to write their name and number. Filing is a breeze. :)

29. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

I use a number too which does make filing soooo easy:)

30. emptynest

emptynest Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I use them! They have been a great thing to have. I have the students put important papers there, and handouts coming from the office, and they have even put special art projects there to keep safe! I use them a lot!

31. emptynest

emptynest Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I was talking about mailboxes and kind of got mixed up in another topic I think. Oh, well.