mailbox?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsamenakhan, Aug 15, 2009.

1. mrsamenakhan

mrsamenakhan Rookie

Aug 15, 2009

where can I get a mailbox for the classroom for under $30? the ones to put their papers in...I bought one 2 years ago from sams online...but they dont have it anymore!!:mad:

any ideas?

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

for under 30 you will probably get the heavy cardboard ones. I bought one for $45 at Office Max or Office Depot with wood laminate and 24 mailslots. I had to build it but that was not hard-hammer and nails.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2009

I agree with the cardboard ones. I bought one with only 15 slots for about $15. If you have a lot of kids you could buy two of them and put them side by side or stack them.

I just looked and found it online.... http://store.schoolspecialtyonline....39&oas=HeJvMmXquIuThfzS8Jon3g..&section=19550

I haven't used mine yet, but I put it together and it seems sturdy enough. Anything besides cardboard is really expensive.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

Hiya!

A coworker of mine went to the liquor store and got the big boxes that wine comes in! So she uses the slots that wine would be packed in for her students' mail! Now these mailboxes are MUCH more narrow than a traditional mail box, but they work for her and were 100% free!

Hope this helps!

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 16, 2009

You can probably use a shoe holder or simular (the kind that hang over a door or ledge) or the kind that stack for cheaper this time of year. or buy a large PVC pipe and have someone cut it for you and hot glue them together??

7. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I had the cardboard ones last year, and they lasted...for that year.
    I was lucky enough to come by a sturdier set this year from another teacher. If you're going to go cardboard just know that they may not last more than a year, and it might be worth it to invest some money in higher-quality ones.
    Another suggestion: Ask the shop teacher at your middle/highschool to make it a project. My school is a K-8, and our shop teacher does this occasionally.

8. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I got a cardboard literature sorter from one of the office supply stores for under $30. It has 22 slots and has lasted me 5 years and is still going strong. I'll look online to see if I can find which store.

9. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

This literature sorter looks like mine (guess it's actually 21 compartments), but is more expensive than I remember paying for mine.

Maybe you could cut one end off of a cereal box - stack those together for mailboxes??

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

I have the one from Really good stuff, and it has lasted me at least 10 years, a worth while investment

11. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

Mine was more expensive b/c it's plastic. I am trying something new this year though.

Office Max has the accordian file folders (usually 7 or 13 sections) with 26 sections for $13.99. I bought one and will use it this year for graded papers. That way if I need to grade papers at home, I can easily take the file too, and file the papers once graded instead of toting them back and forth, with filing needing to be done at school. If you use student helpers, assign numbers & they can file as well. A hanging crate would also work as well. I like the compactness & portability of the file though.

12. mrsamenakhan

mrsamenakhan Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

such great ideas!!! I thought about stacking 2 seperate ones together but they become more expensive.

I actually had one cardboard one (the one from sams) but I saw a roach was in there...so um....I threw it....I should have first checked the prices of the mailboxes and then threw it....lol

13. mrsamenakhan

mrsamenakhan Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Oh my god!!! that's the exact one I had!!!...:eek:hmy:
    THen again, there was a roach...(Maybe it hadnt laid any eggs)...hm...