Mail people

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2014

Ok so I hear a knock on the door
    It is the mailman (now this guy (not my regular postal person) AND he is hiding behind the tree about 25 ' from my door) I am holding DeeOhGee,

Now I have DeeOhGee on my arm. He told me to put the dog on a leash...... this guy is so afraid of dogs ......
    That is like a hockey player afraid of Ice.

This is the second time this substitute carrier has done this I have to bite my tongue I don't want to have him report my dog for whatever Federal law she might break

[​IMG]

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2014

The tree
    [​IMG][/URL]

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2014

That's the dog he is afraid of!?

My husband has been delivering mail for almost 30 years and he has lots of stories about dogs. He has never told me about any mail carriers afraid of dogs, but lots of bite stories. I'll have to tell him your story.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2014

My mailman loves my dog! He even gives him treats and rubs belly if he has to deliver something to my door. I guess I understand that people are afraid of dogs but I don't see how he could report you if your dog didn't do anything to him (maybe he gave him a "death glare" LOL). Cute doggy you have there!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

Mine is usually very wary if we are out in the yard-but she's a bit bigger! :) She's always already on a leash, but they give me a look like they aren't sure it means she's really under control (she is).

I saw on the news last year that our city was in the top 5 for mail carriers being bitten-so maybe it's a healthy fear! ;)

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2014

You were holding her but he wanted her on a leash?

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 30, 2014

Why is he knocking on the door?

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2014

Yes I had ahold of her
    And I had to sign for a package

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2014

I formally tutored at a house with a yappy, barky rat dog that I could have crushed under one of my fabulous shoes...but the homeowners knew Max was viciously afraid and wary of non-family and always put him in another room...until one day he escaped, ran to the kitchen where I was working with my student and bit me so hard in the back of my leg that he left a bruise (bit through dress pants)... Let's just say, Once bitten, Twice shy.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2014

When I was about 4 years I was bitten by my neighbor's dog. The dog was on the back stairwell which I used going between Grandma's (1st floor) and our Apartment (3rd floor). I cried up a storm (well it did break the skin and a little blood) Mom and Grandma came to my aid I wanted them to hit the dog (Hey I was 4 years old) they didn't, they explained that the dog was protecting her puppies (thought I'd save this face till now) Now I am not sure of the exact words they used but I have been a dog lover ever since

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 2, 2014

Love the pictures, Dave. Gave me a chuckle this morning.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 2, 2014

Please tell us next time you'll take a picture of him hiding!:D

My middle son, when he was about 2 and a half, was bitten by a dog -- not anything that required stitches, but painful (and honestly, it was probably more the sense of rejection that bothered him than the actual pain).

Since then he's been afraid of dogs, and now he's 11. Moreover, his fear transferred to his younger brother, who's also afraid of pretty much any dog. Size isn't really the issue.

It's really strange for me because I grew up with dogs, but they also have no idea of when a dog is happily playing as opposed to when it's angry, scared, or upset.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 2, 2014

I wouldn't condemn anyone for being afraid of animals or anything else but I am just confused about why he wanted you to put him on a leash when you were holding him. Did he think the dog would jump out of your arms and attack him?

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

My daughter was bitten by our neighbor's dog a few years ago. Nothing serious. She had gotten too close to the food bowl while he was trying to eat when she was over there playing. She's not afraid of dogs. We have two and she still goes over into the yard with the dog, just not near the food bowl.