Mail boxes

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by newtoschool, Aug 12, 2007.

1. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Hello, I am very short on funds and trying to figure out a cheap yet organized way to create some in boxes for the kiddos for homework and returned work! I do not have any bins as of yet but I do have some half bookshelves that I can utilize.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Perhaps stick in cardboard partitions?

I just have a bin for homework, a bin for planners to go in daily... and individual mailboxes for turning in work and receiving it back.

4. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I found a bookshelf today and I am going to go top the Dollar store and get square bins for each subject! Does that sound OK?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

I plan to use files and keep them in a crate. They will each have a green file folder with their number in the tab. Inside the file folder will be a manila folder with their number on it also. All papers will go in here and on Wednesday, the file will go home.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I got extremely lucky and had one made by a high school woodworking class. See if they'll build one for you and meanwhile use inexpensive magazine boxes.

7. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Like Peachyness, I have a file with each student's name on it and place them in alphabetical order in crates. Either myself, or trustworthy students during their free moments, will file the papers for me. It takes up less space in my already cramped room and has worked very well for me (got this idea from my student-teaching teacher...Thanks, Mrs. Fields)

8. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

You guys are great thank you for all the great ideas!

9. Teach0831

Teach0831 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I've tried to make mailboxes, but they never seem to hold together well. The best luck I've had is plastic cubby bins labeled and stored in a bookcase.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

Sam's Club has some nice "paper sorters" that are perfect for mailboxes for about $10 each. They have 10 or 12 boxes in them (depending if you want to use the bottom slots...you'll see what I mean when you find them). I picked up 4 and they are wonderful! Each kid has a mailbox and I've got slots for them to place homework, notes, classwork, etc.